Recommendations for video viewing software.

kilgetty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini 0806 & Super Legend HD
Hi, Can anyone recommend software for viewing both the video and the GPS location on a map. I have tried "Car GPS Player" which is quite good but the speed is way out. I have also tried "Dashcam Viewer" free version but it says that there no playable files on my SD card, I have no idea why it cannot see the .MOV 1080p files because the website says it supports the 0803. And finally I tried " Registrator Viewer" but after loading the files and pressing the play button the screen goes black and a six inch square blue window with lots of writing in white flashes on for only a second and then my laptop shuts down every time.

You need some updated video-codecs on your machine, apparently - if you're not on Windows 7 or newer.
On 7 and up, there should be no problem playing standard quicktime-files.

A recommendation could be K-Lite's Codec Pack -> http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Hi Danishdude, Thank you for your reply, I am running Windows 7 64 bit, and the videos play perfectly well on "VLC Media Player".

Hi Danishdude, Thank you for your reply, I am running Windows 7 64 bit, and the videos play perfectly well on "VLC Media Player".
Strange. VLC probably uses hardware-acceleration on the video-overlay, with its own native drivers. Registrator Viewer relies on Windows own built-in drivers - and something seems quirky with those.

I would try the codec-pack i mentioned.
Install it. Restart Windows. Open RegViewer, and try the files again.

And finally I tried " Registrator Viewer" but after loading the files and pressing the play button the screen goes black and a six inch square blue window with lots of writing in white flashes on for only a second and then my laptop shuts down every time.
Try first using the menu: Playback/Renderer/VMR - always works, but can be a bit slow.

The codec pack mentioned above is probably wise anyway but doesn't always solve problems if they are in the computers firmware.

I'm running win7 64 bit and Registrator Viewer runs my Mini 0803 files just fine. Didn't need to load any codecs. The files run better (smoother) in RV than the do in QuickTime. They also run OK in windoze media player, but you don't get the GPS data.

Frank

G'day all. I just received my 0803 yesterday and I was going to download the Registrator software but my virus protection software alerted me that there were viruses and spyware detected on the Registrator software download. Has anyone else experienced this?

Only running Vista on my PC and I do not believe there is software to run this program on my iPhone 5s running IOS7.1. Any suggestions?????

Apologies to the original poster, not trying to hijack your thread. Thanks in advance for your reply's.

G'day all. I just received my 0803 yesterday and I was going to download the Registrator software but my virus protection software alerted me that there were viruses and spyware detected on the Registrator software download. Has anyone else experienced this?

Only running Vista on my PC and I do not believe there is software to run this program on my iPhone 5s running IOS7.1. Any suggestions?????

Apologies to the original poster, not trying to hijack your thread. Thanks in advance for your reply's.
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/posts/79736/

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange. VLC probably uses hardware-acceleration on the video-overlay, with its own native drivers. Registrator Viewer relies on Windows own built-in drivers - and something seems quirky with those.

I would try the codec-pack i mentioned.
Install it. Restart Windows. Open RegViewer, and try the files again.

Hi Danishdude, I did as you suggested without any luck but I got to thinking perhaps "Registrator Viewer" was not capable of playing 1296P videos so I recorded some 1080P video and it works just fine. Thank you for making me think in another direction.

I got to thinking perhaps "Registrator Viewer" was not capable of playing 1296P videos so I recorded some 1080P video and it works just fine.
Must admit that I've never tried my cam in 1296p - that's something to bear in mind.

Frank

RegistratorViewer used to be fine playing back videos I had from a Samoon 3H2F-D which were 1296p - they do need a lot more resources though. Do you get anything at all?

RegistratorViewer works fine with 1296p from the Mini 0803 on my computer, it will be the computer having the problems not Registrator Viewer.

Do you get anything at all?

Hi Reverend, I tried " Registrator Viewer" but after loading the 1296P files and pressing the play button the screen goes black and a six inch square blue window with lots of white writing flashes on screen for only a second (to quick to read) and then my laptop shuts down every time.

That sounds like the laptop is crashing - if you go to the menus there should be a Playback -> Render menu (I'm on the Mac so can't double check exactly which menu it's under at the top) but under there are two options - try toggling that and see if it helps you at all

That sounds like the laptop is crashing - if you go to the menus there should be a Playback -> Render menu (I'm on the Mac so can't double check exactly which menu it's under at the top) but under there are two options - try toggling that and see if it helps you at all

It's set for Windows 7, which is what I am running.

That doesn't matter - try the XP option to see if it will playback under that option - basically it's getting the CPU to do all the resizing work. To get the best screenshots you have to flick it into the XP mode anyway.

As for the blue screen I half wonder if it's an old GPU driver - might be worth checking out if there are any newer ones available?

Play around a bit with "Playback" -> "Splitters/Decoders/Renderer"
Especially, as reverend also points out, it's also worth making sure you have the latest driver for your GPU.

Attachments

• 2014-08-21_180721.png
    2014-08-21_180721.png
    14 KB · Views: 5
Good afternoon Gentlemen, After taking all of the above information on board I have had success. I uninstalled "VLC Video Player" and installed the "Standard Codec Pack" which includes it's own video player (Media Player Classic). I am now able to play both 1080P and 1296P video files complete with GPS. There does not appear to be a newer graphics card driver. Thank you all for your comments and ideas.

Back