Recommendations? :-)

Trismotteram

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

After spending many, many (like, life-wasting levels) hours watching dash cam compilations, I've finally decided to take action and buy one for myself and my partner.
(Seriously, those videos opened my eyes to how bad driving can really get).

So I need 2 different cams, each with different requirements (hopefully I'm not asking in the wrong place, or asking too much).

1. My partner's car:
She does lots of short journeys each day. All town driving as she's a pet carer/walker. She's not the best driver, she doesn't anticipate the bad driving of others so bad drivers can startle her. It's an accident waiting to happen (again). Parking mode would be nice as she parks in some dodgy streets, as long as it shuts off if it's draining the car battery.

She's also not the most technically minded and very forgetful - so it needs to be a fit-and-forget style. They'll both be hardwired in but if she doesn't need to press any buttons or ever remove from the car, that would be perfect. She would likely want professional fitting, since it's her work car.

It's a hatchback (Honda Jazz) so I know that throws up a little extra difficulty with 2-channels, but that is preferable.
She mostly does daytime driving, but decent night time clarity would be nice (but not a dealbreaker).

Ideally it would be a fairly simple to use system (not too worried about cost, as it will be a business expense), with a pop-out micro SD card. She probably won't be watching back footage 'at the scene', so it doesn't even need a screen. The more discrete the better, especially once hardwired.

She likley wouldn't remember to press a store button (given that she's had 2 bumps in the last 18 months and, despite me telling her a million times, took no pictures either time, so no evidence). So it would need to be good at saving any noteworthy events of its own volition.

2. My car
Ideally the most discrete. Again, hardwired in and left alone - but I'd prefer wifi connectivity to manage from my phone and play back in the car if necessary.
The main differences being the wifi, ability to store anything of interest with a push (how long do buffers usually last for that?) and the most well hidden/best looking.

It's also a hatchback (Mondeo Mk4) but I still want a rear view camera too. I only use the car like once a week (I don't drive to work) and the odd long distance journeys. So parking mode isn't a real concern, as the battery will either go flat or it will be off most of the time anyway).

Again, micro SD card is preferable, to pop out and upload to the computer.

Thanks in advance (and apologies if I should have asked elsewhere). :-)

From what I've read up on I'm leaning toward the blackvue dr650gw-2ch, but not sure it ticks the boxes for us both...

Welcome to the forum Trismotteram.

Sounds like what you are looking for is Jokiins SGZC12RC, it dont have any GPS or WIFI, but truth be told you dont really need GPS and in a pinch speed can be determined from the recorded footage.
And if you hide the little main unit with the screen good then you cant use the manual event button to save a event, but again you dont really need that if you are recording all the time, then you just need to remember where and when it happned.

At least its the most stealthy camera around , it do have prebuffered recording for events while parked ( not sure for how manu seconds it prebuffer )

The SGZC12RC is just a single channel camera, but there isent really any stealthy dual cameras out there yet.

Back