RECOMMENDED SETTINGS

Ant

Reaction score
Country
United States
According to Andrew Lam of "Car Cam Central" he recommends the following settings...

Just click this link and scroll down to the list of "Optimal Settings"

https://www.carcamcentral.com/review/viofo-a119-review#firmware

** Let me know if this helps.

==========================

Optimal Settings :

Resolution – 1440P: Lower resolutions have much worse video quality.

Loop Recording – 3 Minutes: Anything but off will work. 3 Minutes is a good compromise between too many video files and discoverability.

Exposure – 0EV: If it’s overly bright or dark you can change this number to reduce glare on the plates

WDR – Off: WDR does nothing but worsen night quality for minimal gains in dynamic range

Time Lapse Record – Off

Motion Detection – Off

GPS – On

G-Sensor – Off: No reason to turn this on

LDWS/FCWS – Off: Too many false warnings

Date Stamp – On

Record Audio – Depends: Make sure it’s legal where you live. Otherwise it’s your choice.

Screensaver – 15 seconds:

LED – On: Turns the status LED on/off. Helpful in checking for problems.

Date/Time: No GPS, adjust date/time here.

Time Zone: If you have a GPS your camera will calibrate time/date to the set timezone

Beep Sound: On Disabling this will disable audio notifications. Keep it on.

Frequency: Depends on your electrical grid. 60HZ in North America, 50HZ in Europe.

Format Warning – 30 Days:

Car No – Optional: Some people put their license/name here

==============================

Last edited:
According to Andrew Lam of "Car Cam Central".

These are just his recommended, optimal settings.

Feel free to try them to see if they work for you or not.

===========

I personally, have my ...

WDR set to "ON"
Exposure set to " -1/3 "
Screensaver set to " OFF "
Loop recording set to " 10 Minutes "

According to Andrew Lam of "Car Cam Central".

These are just his recommended, optimal settings.

Feel free to try them to see if they work for you or not.

===========

I personally, have my ...

WDR set to "ON"
Exposure set to " -1/3 "
Screensaver set to " OFF "
Loop recording set to " 10 Minutes "
I would not recommend leaving your screen on all the time. It will shorten it's life.

I would not recommend leaving your screen on all the time. It will shorten it's life.

Now I am completely confused Andrew Lam says G sensor "no reason to turn it on" But I thought the turn on of the G sensor was if a car hit my car and it would automatically save this file (yellow triangle). And " WDR – Off: WDR does nothing but worsen night quality for minimal gains in dynamic range"
So what was the original purpose of the WDR?

WDR should help improve the night image. Could help during the day as well during certain conditions. Try it both ways and use what you prefer.
The G-sensor should activate and automatically save the file in an accident. Some people don't like to use it because some cameras are very sensitive and can create a lot of locked files from potholes or rough roads. As of now the A119 does not have a sensitive G-sensor, it's actually difficult to activate. Viofo is addressing this. Leaving the G-sensor off is fine, you will be retrieving the footage from the card anyway in the event of an accident.

I agree with Andrew Lam.

I have my G-sensor " OFF ".

Try tapping tour dashcam to see if it works for you.

WDR should help improve the night image. Could help during the day as well during certain conditions. Try it both ways and use what you prefer.
The G-sensor should activate and automatically save the file in an accident. Some people don't like to use it because some cameras are very sensitive and can create a lot of locked files from potholes or rough roads. As of now the A119 does not have a sensitive G-sensor, it's actually difficult to activate. Viofo is addressing this. Leaving the G-sensor off is fine, you will be retrieving the footage from the card anyway in the event of an accident.

Thank you for taking time to explain this in depth as I was really confused. Mr.Lam on these 2 explanations did not make any sense to me.

Back