Red glowing dots on sensor - dead sony sensor?

jeez123

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR650S-2CH
See the thumbnails and enlarge for better viewing.
FW: 1.012
Date of purchase:
June 2017..

Found this red dot on some of my recordings this evening. Thought it had to be a display-error but no! The Rear-cam isn't showing any faulty red dots on screen, so... i'm convienced that my camera is slowly giving up - after only 2 years of service.
Has anyone else been out of luck and got any of these findings?

The red dot started to appear yesterday morning on some of my videos in about on hours of recording, then it dissappeared for 10 hours, approx. and then, returned to it's original place i've found it on earlier recordings.

Has anyone got a clue whats going on with the cam? Is the sensor about to die?
Cam is OoW so no purpose of filing RMA. Probably could use an upgrade to the 900-series, but this means i'd have to reapply some tint in the rear window and pull out all the cables as these don't match with the 600-series ofc.. :(

Any advice?
Thx!

fdsd.jpgsadsad.jpg

On this, the red dot fades to smaller size until finally disappears from screen about a couple of minutes later. Wondering what's making this behaviour.
vlcsnap-2019-08-29-20h38m15s128.png

Last edited:
Nothing more than 'hot' pixels. In and of itself nothing to worry about as it's fairly common with just about any sensor and not necessarily an omen of pending doom. They sometimes occur then disappear as the sensor warms up during operation.

You may also see it's cousin the 'dead' pixel which will show up as a constant black dot when viewing a light background.

I had one camera with a number of 'hot' pixels from the day it was new. After a few weeks they spontaneously disappeared never to reappear.

Last edited:
Well, i'm assuming i'll be using this pack of cams until something breaks it dead on. Until then i'd be able to live with it, but i thought it was strange to see this kind of red dots coming and leaving randomly but on the same spot each time..

Back