RedTiger - I formatted my SD card and now the camera won't start in the car and it makes loud beeps when I reconnect it to my computer

JPO

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I'm pretty new to dash cams and completely new to formatting SD cards. I screwed up and I need help, please. Here's my story.

Today (May 3, 2024) I connected my RedTiger camera to my laptop and I looked for a recording from yesterday, May 2. To my surprise, only videos from April 27 to April 30 were on there. This was odd and disappointing. I was expecting to see files from today. Nobody had made any configuration changes to the camera since we bought it late last year.

I decided I would manually delete the videos I no longer needed (pretty much all of them), put the camera back in place in my car, and see if it started recording again. At the last minute I thought I should format it. By "it", I meant the SD card, but I had the whole camera connected via USB-C, not just the card in the SD slot.

The camera is supposed to start when the car starts, but it didn't. When I connected it back to the laptop, it turned on but also beeped loudly 5 times and then stopped. I can see the storage is not only empty, it also doesn't have the folders it used to (CardV main folder, then Video F and Video R subfolders, etc.)

I think I messed up the entire camera. Can I undo what I did? How?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I am not familiar with your camera but I will venture a guess that it has SD Card formatting capability built in. While you have it connected to your computer, go through the menus on the camera and see what is there. Try a format and see if that will for mat and automatically add the missing files.

As to the cam not recording or working while connected to the car, I'd look at the power supply as the problem. You can replace it with any 5 volt supply as long as it has the proper connector on the output leg to your cam. I had similar issues with video not being recorder with my Blueskysea DV688. It would just stop recording for no apparent reason. After lots of changes to recorder position and other wires changes, I narrowed it down to the power supply. Instead of testing the supply or trying to get a replacement from the manufacturer, I simply replaced it with a generic supply from Amazon. The power supply cost about $10.

Welcome to the forum JPO.
Not familiar with this brand.
If you have a larger SD card, then your PC have probably formatted it to ext FAT, and few cameras like that, to change that format the memory card in the camera by scrolling down the menu until you get to format memory card.

You can always flash the camera with a new or the same firmware, but given the brand of this camera it would not surprise me if there was no firmware updates or support.

Back