Replacement for MOV file codec (Quicktime)

Dan Robinson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Adobe Premiere Pro would not recognize the video format natively from my SG9665GCs' MOV files, so I had to install Quciktime to get the codec active. Since Apple has stopped supporting Quicktime, leaving it open to security vulnerabilites, is there an alternative codec to replace it?

I can leave Quicktime installed for the time being, but when I remove it, my video editing applications can't read the SG video tracks. Most of my previous dashcams had native codec issues, requiring the video files to individually be re-encapsulated into m4v wrappers (using VLC). They could then be read by NLEs. The issue isn't with the video track, just the encapsulation/wrappers.

Players (VLC/Windows Media Player, etc don't need these codecs to work, but unfortunately, professional NLEs do (Sony Vegas, Premiere, etc).

I cant remember what I do but I don't have any issues with premier pro

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, I just wanted to tell Dan his footage from El Reno was incredible.

I use adobe Premiere Pro and W10 x64 and have had no issues with the raw mov files, nor did I have to install any codecs.

Adobe Premiere Pro would not recognize the video format natively from my SG9665GCs' MOV files, so I had to install Quciktime to get the codec active. Since Apple has stopped supporting Quicktime, leaving it open to security vulnerabilites, is there an alternative codec to replace it?

I can leave Quicktime installed for the time being, but when I remove it, my video editing applications can't read the SG video tracks. Most of my previous dashcams had native codec issues, requiring the video files to individually be re-encapsulated into m4v wrappers (using VLC). They could then be read by NLEs. The issue isn't with the video track, just the encapsulation/wrappers.

Players (VLC/Windows Media Player, etc don't need these codecs to work, but unfortunately, professional NLEs do (Sony Vegas, Premiere, etc).
If ur on windows 10 use Movie & TV

Back