Replacing just A lens only with B

Bungus

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
2 x Mobius, A, C2. 1 x Toguard CE685
Is this possible? Has anyone done this? Will it cause any problem?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but all lens can be switch between them, you just need to adjust the configuration accordingly. My first Mobius had an A lens, then I changed it to a B lens and now to a C lens (both bought together with a new unit). The Mobius that came with the B lens has now an extension cable and the A lens, while the v3 version that came with the C has now the B lens (in the case, without extension cable).
There is a situation where you have to cut some little plasic from the case in order for the lens cable to fit properly. See this post, the 4th picture.

I'm not sure I understand your question, but all lens can be switch between them, you just need to adjust the configuration accordingly. My first Mobius had an A lens, then I changed it to a B lens and now to a C lens (both bought together with a new unit). The Mobius that came with the B lens has now an extension cable and the A lens, while the v3 version that came with the C has now the B lens (in the case, without extension cable).
There is a situation where you have to cut some little plasic from the case in order for the lens cable to fit properly. See this post, the 4th picture.

Apologize for not making it more clear.
What I want to know is, if it's possible to just unscrewing out the A lens and screwing in the B lens without replacing the lens body. Just the part use to adjust focus.

Apologize for not making it more clear.
What I want to know is, if it's possible to just unscrewing out the A lens and screwing in the B lens without replacing the lens body. Just the part use to adjust focus.

The basic answer to your question is yes, you can screw in any Mobius lens into the lens module base. So, you could take an "A" lens out of its base and screw it into the base module of a "B" lens and vice versa. (after loosening the set screw) and then setting the firmware for the new lens you have swapped. In fact, some authorized Mobius vendors will sell you just the lens without the base module so that you can do just that. In theory you could use any S - mount M12 x .05 lens, which is the thread standard used in practically all dash cams and CCTV cameras. M12 lenses (also called board lenses) are widely available in different focal lengths (and qualities) such as here, for example. It has been shown however that other lenses won't work quite as well as the ones supplied with the Mobius which are of high quality and have optical characteristics that the Mobius firmware has been optimized for.

All this should apply to the new "C" lens as well and you can buy the new C lens separately too.

Last edited:
Interchanging official Mobius lenses isn't a problem but using 3rd party lenses could pose a problem. All Mobius lenses have an integrated infra red filter. Many 3rd party lenses don't.
Most, if not all, 3rd party lenses will not have the same high quality as the Mobius lenses.

Thanks. I feel this will be the better way to go.
Have been reading about changing different lens in R.C Group too. (I'm at page 651 on that thread. another 300+ more to read.)

@Isoprop is right to mention the infra-red filter. ALL digital cameras have integrated IR-Cut filters including dash cams, action cams, camcorders and point-and-shoot cameras. Because silicon based sensors (CCDs and CMOS) have sensitivities extending into the near-infrared and beyond, dichroic IR-Cut filters are required to restrict those wavelengths to prevent unnatural looking colors in the images during daylight hours. Most aftermarket M12 board lenses are sold without integrated IR-Cut filters because they are usually used in CCTV cameras where an IR-Cut filter is undesirable at night when surveillance cameras use infra-red illumination to see in the dark. Many CCTV cameras use a solenoid activated by a photo-diode to mechanically place an IR-Cut filter between the lens and the sensor during the day and then retract it after dark.

If anyone wants to use an aftermarket M12 lens in a dash or action cam like a Mobius (perhaps to install a longer focal length "telephoto" lens, for example) you can buy individual IR-Cut filters and install them yourself on any M12 lens you may wish to use by carefully attaching it to the lens barrel behind the rear element of the lens. The M12 lens source I linked in my previous post sells them and you can also find them on eBay.

ir.jpg IRCUT.jpg UVIR-x.jpg

Last edited:
That looks cool! I wonder what the effective focal length would work out to be? I would imagine the magnification would be so great that the only way it would work, if it were to work at all would be to have the lens and camera absolutely stable.

Back