Rexing S1 - switching cameras from right to left

VanKo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m looking at the Rexing S1 because I want front, cabin, and rear cameras. I like the S1 because the cameras are adjustable. The front 1080p camera is on the left and the cabin 720p camera is on the right. However, I need them reversed because I want the cabin camera centered on me with a view of my driver’s side window for the sole purpose of recording any encounter with the police. In it’s stock configuration, the right (cabin) camera can’t be turned anymore to the left. If I reverse them, it would be exactly where I need it to be. I’m very tech savvy and immediately thought about disassembling the camera and switching the swivel assemblies and cameras to opposite sides. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts?

79258119-5615-4296-89EF-AFBE52995742.jpeg

Assuming the ribbon cables reach their respective connectors, should work. Image will get flipped, some have it in the firmware to flip the image, some don't.

I think the camera units still need to be connected to the same socket on the PCB, so just switching them over might cause provlems.

1: the active IR cut filter are just in the camera unit with the IR LEDs, so if you change that ribbon to the other output on the PCB, you probably have to get lucky if it workes in regular color mode, and on the other hand moving the Left camera to the right side, that might also be a mess as i dont think the IR abilities are global to both sockets on the PCB, but you might get lucky and have the Left camera function OK on the Right side cameras connector.

I do think the ribbon cable connectors are the same pin number ASO, so in that way i think it will be good, and i also think the regular connectors are in the same place, but the IR camera might have a few more connectors ( unsure if the switching of the IR filter for instance are something that is done on the small camera PCB, TBH i think it need a signal from the main PCB so thats +1 connector, and the IR filters i have seen in CCTV cameras have all been 2 wires ( + and - X volts i assume ) but this might be able to feed off the power for the camera unit.

The B2W camera ( Blueskysea ) actually have the IR cabin camera on the left side, and it can swivel from 10 degrees towards the passenger side ( backwards ) and to 45 degrees to the driver side ( forwards )
So it can easy be aimed at the drive side door in a country like Denmark where we drive on the sane ( right ) side of the road.

B2W footage.

I think the camera units still need to be connected to the same socket on the PCB, so just switching them over might cause provlems.

1: the active IR cut filter are just in the camera unit with the IR LEDs, so if you change that ribbon to the other output on the PCB, you probably have to get lucky if it workes in regular color mode, and on the other hand moving the Left camera to the right side, that might also be a mess as i dont think the IR abilities are global to both sockets on the PCB, but you might get lucky and have the Left camera function OK on the Right side cameras connector.

I do think the ribbon cable connectors are the same pin number ASO, so in that way i think it will be good, and i also think the regular connectors are in the same place, but the IR camera might have a few more connectors ( unsure if the switching of the IR filter for instance are something that is done on the small camera PCB, TBH i think it need a signal from the main PCB so thats +1 connector, and the IR filters i have seen in CCTV cameras have all been 2 wires ( + and - X volts i assume ) but this might be able to feed off the power for the camera unit.

The B2W camera ( Blueskysea ) actually have the IR cabin camera on the left side, and it can swivel from 10 degrees towards the passenger side ( backwards ) and to 45 degrees to the driver side ( forwards )
So it can easy be aimed at the drive side door in a country like Denmark where we drive on the sane ( right ) side of the road.

You make some good points, I hadn’t thought of the PCB connection configurations. No way to tell if the wires are long enough or if this is even possible without getting my hands on one and taking it apart.

I really like the B2W, it would be a perfect setup if it had a rear waterproof camera. That footage from your camera is really good.

Yeah the B2W are just 2 channel, so it can only cover the front view and the cabin, you would have to out a #2 camera in the back.
Many of us old timers / addicts have been running multiple single cameras for years, at first to get front & rear coverage as there was no viable 2 channel systems then, and then later on as side cameras too.
The little Mobius have been much popular and with its match box size and the lens on the end, in regard to visibility on the glass it have one of the smallest foot prints.
But the down side is they have not kept up with times so while not useless garbage they are not as good as the new cameras, not least in regard to low light performance.

The cameras being stealthy are a big deal for many of us, though for me as a tester that go out of the window when i have 3-4-5 cameras on the windscreen.

ATM i run 2 dual remote cameras as the main cameras, the K2S as side cameras mounted on fixed glass on my rear doors, and the new SG9663DR as front and rear camera.
But i have no cabin cameras, i dont need it as we Danes dont have to stay glued to the driver seat when pulled over, but i dislike people leaning over me so i get out to meet the cops head on.

Up close to the car the dashcams have some limitations at least with the wide angle they come with, but anyone walking up to the car should be identifiable alright.

Last edited:
Back