Rexing V1P woes - Several issues

RodentKJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
***UPDATE 12/05/16***
I'm back to provide an update.
I can report that it appears that I have managed to work out all the issues with the V1P dashcam (knock on wood). It has been recording 24x7 for several days w/o any lockups or video recording issues.

• Someone from Rexing was making the rounds on YouTube a few weeks back stating "We just fixed the problem by firmware update, please go to....". It was the same canned response in several YouTube videos.
  • Budget Micro SD cards suck when it comes to Write speed ratings.

1. As stated, Rexing released some new firmware on 11-10-16. The new firmware can be found here http://www.rexingusa.com/?page_id=923 One of the items it reports to have fixed in the 'Video Skipping Issue' as seen in my video below.

2. After much testing I found that the budget / cheap Micro SD cards just don't cut it. I had several cards that when used the V1P would lockup / stop recording. The red LED would still flash as if it was actively recording, however the recording timer would be frozen. Was seeing this issue on Micro SD cards ranging from 16gb to 128gb. Ended up buying a SanDisk Extreme 128gb Micro SD from Amazon (Link Below). The Write speed (NOT READ) rating is 60MB/s. Whereas the other budget Micro SD cards I had were rated at 20MB/s or less.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01DYN4VPE
I can say for sure that the firmware update did not fix / resolve the lockup issues I was seeing. That was only resolved by purchasing a Micro SD with a high Write speed rating.

The video / audio issues. Could have been fixed by just the firmware update I suppose. With that said, with the older firmware I highly suspect if I had used a Micro SD with a higher Write speed, I would have not seen a lot of these problems.

Hope this helps someone else.

Rexing V1P
Firmware Version: B50_655.2016.0813.V1.1 (non-expert)
Hardwire USB power connection
Tested multiple Micro SD cards. 32gb to 128gb. Sandisk & Samsung. Class 10. Formatted by the V1P.
Front 1080p / Rear VGA
3 min loop recording
Recording 24x7

I had high hopes this dashcam was going to be a solid replacement for my current dashcam setup (Android phone with dashcam app).
However after a few days of testing it has become clear that this dashcam has a few bugs that still need to be worked out.
Google searches confirm that others are seeing similar, if not the same issues as I.

The results below are from my 3 days of testing where the dashcam ran 24x7 using a Sandisk 128gb Ultra Class 10 Micro SD card.
During my recent testing I would randomly save, or archive, a video so I could go back and review it after my test.

Problems:
1. Randomly the video will skip and or be overlay for a few seconds by another frame in the video. Seen mostly in the lower left hand corner of the video. But anomalies can be seen throughout the entire frame. Happens simultaneously on front and rear video.
Example can be seen in the video below.

2. When I removed the Micro SD card from the V1P the file time stamps ranged from the oldest of 9/17/2016 12:46PM to the most recent of 9/18/2016 2:34PM (non-archived in the MOVIE Dir). However there is a large group of video files missing in between the above time periods. Video files between 9/17/2016 11:04PM to 9/18/2016 10:18AM are gone.

3. The audio will randomly drop out and come back briefly during a video.
Other users are reporting this issue. e.g. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/rexing-v1-audio-record-problem.20224/
Example can be heard in the video below.

4. This is the most odd issue of them all.
I have several videos currently on my SD Card that have the wrong audio associated with them.
There is a 12 second audio clip that came from an earlier recorded video that keeps playing over and over throughout the entire 3 minutes of several videos. Happens simultaneously on front and rear video. Likely somehow related to issue #3.

When this dashcam is working correctly it is great. Video and audio is very good.
But sadly these issue described above render it unreliable.

Video is from same time frame.
Front camera from 00:00 to 00:34
Rear camera from 00:35 to 01:11

Last edited:
I'm glad I found this post. I was using the Rexing V1 dashcam without any issues until recently and in fact it proved my son wasn't at fault during an accident! But since then the cam has been acting erratically; just as you described the red light flashes but it's not recording. I do have a Sandisk Ultra card installed, would you consider that to be a budget card? I don't mind spending money on a new card if it will make the cam reliable - I thought I read somewhere that Rexing recommended Transcend or Lexar.

I'm glad I found this post. I was using the Rexing V1 dashcam without any issues until recently and in fact it proved my son wasn't at fault during an accident! But since then the cam has been acting erratically; just as you described the red light flashes but it's not recording. I do have a Sandisk Ultra card installed, would you consider that to be a budget card? I don't mind spending money on a new card if it will make the cam reliable - I thought I read somewhere that Rexing recommended Transcend or Lexar.
SanDisk Ultra cards are not good to use in dash cameras. Definitely get another card. Transcend, Lexar, Samsung are good.

One of the cards I tried and had issues with was the SanDisk Ultra. Likely because of the slow write speed.
Purchase one of the SanDisk Extreme cards and the issues you are seeing will likely go away.
I just purchased a 2nd SanDisk Extreme 128GB so I could rotate the cards when pulling video. And like the 1st one I purchased, the 2nd is working fine.

Note. Buying a specific brand card is NOT going to fix the issue. It's all about the Read / Write speed the said card supports. Manufactures like to just advertise the Read speed (Example Here) and tend to bury the Write speed in the fine details as for it's always the lower speed of the two. For reference the SanDisk MicroSD Extreme has a Read / Write speed of 90MB's / 60MB's

And if you have not done so already, update to the most recent firmware.

Last edited:
Back