Roadhawk HD degrading Satnav signal

Photosbykev

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Roadhawk HD, Mobius
Hi

Has anyone else noticed their Satnav satellite signal being degraded when their dashcam is running?

My TomTom 1005 live satnav normally has a GPS signal strength around 80% with the dashcam turned off. With the dashcam on this drops to 70% but still works fine. When I plug the External
GPS antenna into the dashcam the TomTom gps signal drops below 60% and struggles to maintain the gps lock.

I thought I might be creating a Faraday cage effect by running the dashcam gps antenna around the windscreen frame so I shortened the antenna cable down to 6" and mounted the antenna adjacent to the camera. This gave a small improvement in the TomTom gps signal but not enough for reliable use

I'm just about to give up on the Roadhawk and look for an alternative unit :(

Regards
Kev

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Hey Kev,

We sell a lot of the Roadhawks and we install quite a few too. It can have the effect of causing a few issues but if you have the external GPS mounted behind the scenes on the opposite side of the car you should be fine. We don't have any issues when we do this.

Tim

Thanks for the advice Tim. I've recently bought another active GPS antenna with a right angle connector for the Roadhawk. I'm planning to open up this antenna so I can shorten the cabling and more importantly maintain the ground screening on the cable and then see what effect that has on the TomTom. Without the external antenna the Gps acquisition is very slow, maybe 10 minutes with no sky obstructions

Regards
Kev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame Apple for the typos and me for the content

Back