Rubiconmike's Mobius

Rubiconmike

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Mobius
I thought I might start this thread to have my Ideas and questions in one place and not clutter things up.
My camera is on it's way. As a mater of fact it's in Canada.
I'm not a very patient person when it comes to waiting for stuff in the mail.

So this is the plan...

Test out all three parts as they come in.
-Camera on Pc and normal 12v lighter install.
-DC-DC 12v-5v Mini USB converter to see if the output really is 5v. Test on camera.
-Sandisk load and un load photos off of PC. Test on camera.

So the location of the camera is utmost important to me.
I want it to be up high and inconspicuous.

I did order the sticky tape mount for the camera but I don't think i'll use it for this part of the project.
I think what I need to make is a wedge the size of the camera to make it perpendicular to the ground.
Add some DST (doublesided sticky tape) and off we go.

I have to make sure that the wiper wipes the spot that i'll be filming threw. just right of center.
I think i'll utilize that square hole for the wire. The 12v-5v will hide inside the plastic.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I agree with Jim. We love to hear peoples experiences and help, however there is so much info here that new threads for personal interests make the data spread and get lost, necessitating the need for more personal posts. The best place for this would be the "Mobius" thread or the "Mobius support" thread.

Reactions: Jim
I for one despise thousand pages threads.
Use the forum search to find the neccessary topic, and discuss it out. In huge threads different topics often discussed one on top of the other, causing confusion and pushing replies back.
the info gets lost the same way, and also those people saying "check a few pages back" and but you never find it.

Ok we're not bashing you poor Mike, it's just that threads get lost and there are soooo many of similar topics. We are all guilty :oops: Just post your next questions in the support or Mobius thread. :cool:

Perpendicular to the ground doesn't work well in my experience with the Mobius, as I said before :p Point it a little down to help the exposure, especially in the morning and evening when the sky is bright and you're in the shade.

Here I was looking forward to Mike's install as I am going to be perusing my own very soon.

You should start a blog. I would follow it :)

Here I was looking forward to Mike's install as I am going to be perusing my own very soon.

You should start a blog. I would follow it :)

You know, come to think of it, if you haven't yet checked it out you should explore the DIY Projects forum. If you are interested in pursuing your own mounting scheme, you might be inspired by some of @niko's designs. He's kind of our resident Godfather of interesting, cool DIY mounting solutions around here. :)

Last edited:
As a silver/goldsmith (part time--I do a lot of things part time) I may think about making my own mount in the future. Because of the metals I use it will of course cost 10-50x more then the dashcam but it would make for an interesting conversation ;)

As a silver/goldsmith (part time--I do a lot of things part time) I may think about making my own mount in the future. Because of the metals I use it will of course cost 10-50x more then the dashcam but it would make for an interesting conversation ;)

Cool! Can't wait to see it! Hope you do it but I guess the downside would be that it might attract thieves.

Reactions: Jim
My install was going well.
Got all my parts here now and have reinforced the panel that my bracket is going to fasten to.
Made the bracket at the plastic shop I hang out at.
the wiring harness is made up and ready to go.
the camera works great as well.
the problem I'm having is getting one of the many different tapes and Velcro's I have
will not stick to the camera case.
I've sanded it a bit and cleaned it but the best I get is the stickiness of a post it note.
I'm going to try some chemicals that are used on some plastics to help them glue better next.
I'll have to ware gloves for that.
It is such a silly thing to hold me back when I'm so close to finishing the install.

I dug out the unused hook & loop Velcro strips that came with my Mobius(s) and discovered that whatever adhesive is on there sticks very well to the rubberized surface. In the meantime, I've experimented with some Dual-Lock tape and applying some heat helps the adhesive work better but it will need some further exploration when I get the time to play around with it more. It is interesting though because the Dual Lock adhesive is usually very tenacious on most surfaces at most temperatures.

Ya I'm an Rc racer and I use dual lock for my electronics like the ESC and it gets hot. over 100 most times
and it just sticks to the point that I have to pry it apart with a screw driver.
but it's not working here. I'm not going to give in to using zap straps on it but I'll have to do something.

OK, so I put a fresh strip of Dual-Lock on the bottom of a Mobius and applied heat for about 3 minutes. Then I applied firm pressure to make sure the adhesive had seated itself. After letting it sit for about an hour or so while I watched some TV I went to check on it and the bond is now very solid and the tape would not be easy to remove. I did clean the Mobius rubberized surface with some solvent before applying the tape but there was no sanding required.

OK hold on. I think I got it. Hot glue gun with what I think is a all purpose stick in it.
its quite strong. I hope I can get my test piece a part I need it.
I should have used less glue for the test
Ill try heating some of my tapes to.
Thanks all for helping me get back on track.

Now that I've let the Dual-Lock tape sit overnight attached to the Mobius after applying heat and pressure the tape has as strong a grip as anyone would need. It could be peeled off if one wanted to but it seems there is no need to go all crazy with any hot glue or sanding that would deface the camera unless there is a need to have an absolutely fail proof grip on the camera. I could see doing something like that on say, a motorcycle or some other high vibration environment where there might be a chance of losing the camera but in a car I don't see a problem.

A little update here. According to 3M, they recommend allowing 72 hours for Dual Lock tape to achieve maximum adhesion which seems to confirm the experience I described in my last post about leaving it overnight.

That to me is a suprise. But good to know. I heated the tape and the outer
Mount case and taped them up.
I was going to wate 24 but I can do
Thanks for the info.

That lady scares me.

Good video. Have to find my roller now...

Back