saw 70 mai omni camera on kickstarter.

When used in parking mode, I wonder how long the motors keep going before the gears wear out?

Seems a silly idea to me, but interested to see if it catches on...

I did not read too much into the kickstarter, pretty much just glanced over the pictures.
The pan function i think are all manual in any mode, so you will have to give a voice command to film the cabin, or in the APP turn the camera by clicking a button.

I am wondering though, my home CCTV system and the PTZ camera on it, if i remote want to move the camera it is laggy, and some times forget to stop in the direction it is going and so "fly" past the intended target.
This is even so if i am at home and connect via wifi instead of 4G.

I sort of prefer this way of having a cabin camera VS a permanent cabin camera, but the permanent camera would without a doubt be better for Uber drivers ASO, but a regular person that only on occasions want a cabin view this is better i feel.

It has auto-tracking of people around your car, no manual:
By utilizing its upgraded AI Motion Detection algorithm, the dash cam is able to identify humans around your car, detect their motion, and precisely target their location. If people who approach remain suspicious and close to your car, Omni spontaneously follows and records their movements with 360° surveillance.

I assume it spins 360 continuously in order to pick up the people to track? Otherwise they could sneak up from behind!

Aaa its that smart.

I think it would be a bit silly if it was spinning while parked, at least it would have to spin fast then as otherwise you could still sneak up on it if it was slow.

Tracking i think it s bit silly with the already wide FOV lens, at least in regard to bumps from other vehicles in a parking lot, parked alongside a curb it might be useful, or at least better than just a single forward facing camera.

I have not looked into the sensor it claim to use.

I agree, it is aimed at the look at me crowd / young people.
I only say it is nice it can reverse as a traditional fixed cabin camera i don't really like.
The fact it can turn 90 deg to either side or 180 to film the cabin, well for the people wanting to record engagements with police it might be fine, but when police pull me over i stop and get out of the car to meet them face to face.

Is it practical to rotate the lens during the trip? I feel this one is mostly for fun. For younger drivers that want to have funs and the ability to record in many ways.
No, that would always miss the important recording!

But I think it does say that if someone hits your car while driving, it will calculate from the g-sensor movement which corner of your car was hit, and turn the camera to record the view in that direction, which does sound useful... except that it will often be looking through the seat headrests and not record anything useful, while if it had been facing forward then it may have recorded the license plate of the car that hit you driving away to escape!

I think there are so many things that can go wrong with this that it is only useful as an extra camera, maybe mounted in the centre of the car so that it can get a reasonable view in most directions, you will still want a normal front dashcam, and probably a normal rear dashcam as well.

Maybe it is just to generate a lot of interest, to help sell their normal dashcams?

If it can detect where you are are hit, and turn there,,,,, that might not be bad at all, but TBH i would prefer a rear camera to then capture the footage back there.
Smaller door dings i don't think it can capture / figure out where it is and turn in that direction.
And as Nigel point out, head rests on front seats and what the camera are actually able to see out of rear or side windows if turned in those directions, will probably be minimal, though here the design of the car do have some say too.

I will comment 70 mai for going outside the box with their thinking, i just don't think this is it.

I will comment 70 mai for going outside the box with their thinking, i just don't think this is it.
Yes, certainly an interesting concept, worthy of a compliment, but maybe better implemented with one of those big square 360 sensors that has no mechanical moving parts, then you could even pre-buffer the view in the direction you get hit and start recording in that direction 10 seconds before you get hit and turn the lens in that direction!.. if that time-warped idea makes any sense!

I backed it... But looking at the video on YT and photos, it seems like a big unit.

Are you complimenting them on not having a memory card slot?
No memory card inside or outside the box :unsure:

The current version has no memory card slot but on-board build memory.
Yes, that is great until it wears out and needs replacing... better not use it for 24/7 parking mode... but then its parking mode where it tracks passing persons is one of the main features!

Actually, since it only records at 1 frame per second in parking mode, maybe that is not an issue...

Back