Screen capture quality

Sabe

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Dash Cam
G90, GT300W, Mobius A, C
To Jokiin or anyone else wiser than me.
I took a screen capture on the other day and i thought that it was capture straight from video, but then i realized it was not, mostly because my pc monitor was only 1680x1050 resolution and of course screen was scaled down.
But that raised a question, how can you take a sample from video frame in a way that it don't get processed before?

If you use Videolan VLC as a video player there is a specific command: while video is playing you can pause it and click "Video" then the last entry is "Take snapshot".

Images are stored (at the video original resolution) in a directory.

You can define the directory going in the "Tools" -> "Preferences" -> "Video" menu. You can choose between JPG or PNG format and also the name and even sequential numbering of the image file.

Enjoy!

Fez

FezTheFez said:
If you use Videolan VLC as a video player there is a specific command: while video is playing you can pause it and click "Video" then the last entry is "Take snapshot".

You can define the directory going in the "Tools" -> "Preferences" -> "Video" menu. You can choose between JPG or PNG format and also the name and even sequential numbering of the image file.

Enjoy!

Fez
That's how i did it, but as screen was not full hd i was thinking was it really hd capture.
But of course i can check what was captured image size :oops:

Edit:
Yes, image was captured in full hd 1920x1080 even if pc resolution was smaller.
Problem solved then, VLC takes full hd captures.

FezTheFez said:

Enjoy!

Fez

that's a good tip, thanks for sharing with others

Suggestion to DashCamMan as the site is starting to grow and more questions are popping up relating to encoding, editing etc maybe time to add a How-to section for video related stuff??? I think it would be useful to lots of members, probably a lot of people here that would benefit as everyone has their own way of doing things and sharing the knowledge helps everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
In MPC-HC Media player classic home cinema, if you will press the F5 key during playing a movie a screenshot will be taken on the desktop.
As a media player I am using MPC-HC for years. I have also the VLC but not using it, I am keeping as a backup.

If you want to take only some portion of image as a capture, I recommend MWSnap even the latest update is from 2002.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back