Screen flickers and restarting (SOLVED)

BatmanBMW

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR900S-2CH, Blackvue DR590W-2CH, Vantrue N2 Pro
Hello fellow dash cam enthusiast,

I bought a VIOFO a119S from Amazon (Blackboxmycar) and it arrived today. The screen LCD keeps flickering and the machine keeps restarting randomly every 4-5 minutes. I’m still under the 30day Amazon return/exchange window, but I want to hear what you guys think. I’ve read somehwere here that it could be the camera power is defective. I’ve contacted Amazon’s Blackboxmycar and I’ll let you guys know if they respond. In the meantime, I would like to hear you guys’ opinion.

I have updated the camera to its latest firmware. I also use San Disk HIGH ENDURANCE 64 GB micro SD card (recommended by carcamcentral and other “pros.” I have formatted the card using the camera itself, but the LCD screen still flickers and the machine randomly restarts.

This is unusual for Blackboxmycar to send a defective item. I dislike it and knew something is wrong right away as soon as I saw the LCD flickers. I just hate sending it back and waiting for it to return to me. Hell, I’m still waiting for the DR-900S that was supposed to be released late April. I have other cams but all used for my other cars. I bought cellink neo + Blackvue DR-590W, and pre-ordered DR900S-2CH from them because of their diligent in sending good products. Now...oh man.

EDIT: Fixed! Thanks for the advise you guys!

Last edited:
Faulty product can happen regardless of brand or seller, they're a reliable source though and will sort it out I'm sure

Just to make sure, are you using the USB cable that was supplied with the camera? The factory supplied cable is 22 AWG. Other dash cam cables or aftermarket cables are usually thinner 28 AWG and occasionally 24 AWG which willl indeed cause a flickering screen. The A119 series of cameras are more current hungry and sensitive to lower current and voltage drops than many other dash cams.

The screen LCD keeps flickering and the machine keeps restarting randomly every 4-5 minutes.
Symptoms indicate insufficient power is being supplied to the camera. To separate camera problems from power supply problems, try powering camera with Viofo supplied long USB cable and cig adapter (12 to 5Vdc converter), or power the camera with the Viofo supplied short USB cable and a USB wall charger or 5Vdc USB battery bank.

Yes! You guys are correct! Thank you!!!

It's solely my mistake for using a different cable (longer)! It's close to 1am right now lol and I was so curious that I went to my car and plugged the camera to an outlet using the original cable. Thank you guys. Sorry Blackboxmycar and you're still my number 1 store!

Back