SD Card Error - Please format card message

mooo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been using my Nextbase 612GW dashcam (purchased form Halfords and fitted by them) for over two months now. I have noticed after a few weeks of use. An "SD Card Error - Please format card" At the time I was using the 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro that I purchased directly from Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07G3H5RBT
So I formatted the card when prompted and it worked fine for a few more weeks. Then the error message reappeared again. So I had browse around this forum and I found out there seems to be alot of "issues" with this product, which is a shame to be honest. I have noticed of one of the Nextbase Support reps mentioned on another thread that the card I have been using its not compatible for dashcams. She recommeneded their own SD card or the SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring Card.- https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07NY23WBG
Amazon has kindly arrange for the SD card to be swapped for Sandisk high endurance card. However last week the error message reappeared again. I am not convinced my issue is resolved and the same issue will return. The dashcam is using the latest firmware. Are there any other fixes I can try?

20191011_065826209_iOS.jpg20191011_065921794_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Millie @NextBase Support may be your best bet. I've tagged her for you.

Having said that, I still have my 612GW (the first one ever outside of their company to a member of the public :p ) and my memory card works perfectly 2 years down the line.

I bought it from Amazon, but it has updated to a newer version since I bought mine. Here is the link to the current one which should still be the same (effectively)..

LINK

HTH a bit.

Paul.

Millie @NextBase Support may be your best bet. I've tagged her for you.

Having said that, I still have my 612GW (the first one ever outside of their company to a member of the public :p ) and my memory card works perfectly 2 years down the line.

I bought it from Amazon, but it has updated to a newer version since I bought mine. Here is the link to the current one which should still be the same (effectively)..

LINK

HTH a bit.

Paul.

Thats strange. I only swapped cards when I saw a reply from Millie @NextBase Support stating we should their SD Cards or the Sandisk High Endurance SD cards. So Amazon kindly arranged to swap my old Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card for this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07NY23WBG
Its worked fine for a few weeks before the dreaded "SD Card Error" returned so I formated the card as prompted. Now its working fine at the moment but i'm not hopeful it won't return again :(

Hi Mooo,

Sorry for being a bit late to the party. Thanks for the tag @Paul Iddon.

You're correct that we advise 2 specific SD cards. We advise these cards because when the cards are used within a Dash Cam, they still maintain a warranty. Other SD cards, such as the SanDisk Extreme Pro, void the warranty when used with a Dash Cam. This is because they cannot sustain the constant overwriting environment within the Dash Cam. We only recommend products that we know will provide customer value.

Regarding your SD Card Error occurring on your 612GW, are you re-formatting regularly? We recommend this to prolong the life of the card and avoid over-writing issues. I'd appreciate knowing how often your reformat and the method you use to re-format.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi Mooo,

Sorry for being a bit late to the party. Thanks for the tag @Paul Iddon.

You're correct that we advise 2 specific SD cards. We advise these cards because when the cards are used within a Dash Cam, they still maintain a warranty. Other SD cards, such as the SanDisk Extreme Pro, void the warranty when used with a Dash Cam. This is because they cannot sustain the constant overwriting environment within the Dash Cam. We only recommend products that we know will provide customer value.

Regarding your SD Card Error occurring on your 612GW, are you re-formatting regularly? We recommend this to prolong the life of the card and avoid over-writing issues. I'd appreciate knowing how often your reformat and the method you use to re-format.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

The only time I reformat the card is when that error message crops up. That message crops up roughly every 2 - 3 weeks. I was under the impression I didn't have format the SD card regularly. :-|

Bingo, problem found. Good news is that it's an easy one to fix!

So we recommend re-formatting the card regularly to wipe all the data off the card to make it easier for the data to be written. I can explain the requirements of this process in more depth if you'd like?
I've attached a link to the 612 Manual underneath. There's a couple of different sections regarding SD Cards and I thought it might be clearer with the diagrams along with the instructions rather than just instructions with no context.

P.03, P.32, P. 45.

I'd recommend re-formatting the card every 2 weeks, that way you shouldn't get any of the SD Card Error Messages occurring :)

Millie

Bingo, problem found. Good news is that it's an easy one to fix!

So we recommend re-formatting the card regularly to wipe all the data off the card to make it easier for the data to be written. I can explain the requirements of this process in more depth if you'd like?
I've attached a link to the 612 Manual underneath. There's a couple of different sections regarding SD Cards and I thought it might be clearer with the diagrams along with the instructions rather than just instructions with no context.

P.03, P.32, P. 45.

I'd recommend re-formatting the card every 2 weeks, that way you shouldn't get any of the SD Card Error Messages occurring :)

Millie

Ok I'll give that a go :)
I didn't realize the SD card has to be formatted regularly. I just thought it was inset the SD Card and forget about it :)

I had the format card message spring up yesterday on my 612 using the Sandisk Extreme Pro 128gb card. I just pressed format and been fine since. Not had such a message with the Nextbase 128gb SD Card.

I had the format card message spring up yesterday on my 612 using the Sandisk Extreme Pro 128gb card. I just pressed format and been fine since. Not had such a message with the Nextbase 128gb SD Card.

It's likely it will reappear again. It just did during my drive back home today :(

It's likely it will reappear again. It just did during my drive back home today :(
Ah will keep an eye out as it's not done it yet. Never had it appear on my 312 before. Do you have a Nextbase SD Card or just Sandisk?

Hi again,

Just thought I'd add a more in-depth explanation for your as to why regular re-formatting is important for Dash Cam SD Cards;

The main difference between all SD cards is the storage size (16/32/42GB etc.) and the READ speed. READ speed isn’t too important when it comes to Dash Cams, as a Dash Cam WRITES data to the SD card when recording. The ability to maintain a high WRITE speed consistently is what Nextbase SD cards are designed for. Any drop/fluctuation in WRITE speed within the SD card causes the Dash Cam footage to buffer, and in some cases will stop the recording entirely. Our Nextbase SD card controller and Firmware on the SD card achieves the requirements from our Dash Cam, where other SD cards cannot. Due to the continuous recording and overwriting of the card, the SD card needs to be a high-endurance card, otherwise the card may develop faults after a period of time; if a lower-capability card is used, certain features on the camera will not fully function due to being unable to re-write and record. The recommendation for 2-3 week formatting is something which applies to all dash cams, not just Nextbase Dash Cams, because of the high intensity environment the SD card is used in within a Dash Cam. Our Dash Cams require a manual reformatting to prevent essential footage from being erased, letting the user have complete control over which files are kept or deleted. The Protected Files from the Dash Cam are usually stored separately from the other footage, and this footage can’t be deleted without being Unprotected first, so can build up to the point where the Dash Cam struggles to record new footage. Re-formatting the card will delete this footage and should be done every 2-3 weeks (depending on quantity of driving) to avoid gaps in footage.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

I had this trouble in my 312 earlier this year with an SD Card that wasn't up to the job. Before I knew the importance of the right SD card for a Dashcam I had a Sandisk Extreme 32GB as my main card then I thought I'd get a spare so bought a PNY 32GB off Ebay (as it said for Dashcams in the description) and it worked fine for a few times and then my car went into BMW for service so thought I'd check the Dashcam when I got it back to see how the car was treated and it was all on the Dashcam ok, so later on I took the SD Card out and popped it in my laptop and it came up SD Card error and lost the lot and then it wouldn't even work in the Dashcam after so ended up snapping it up and binning it. So avoid these cheap possible fake SD Cards they are crap. Luckily didn't cause any issues to my Dashcam. Got a Sandisk Ultra 32GB as a spare in the end for it.
This was the exact one I bought. Waste of time.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263609075777

I always tend to buy my sd cards from with mymemory or scan... I buy the Samsung evo range either 64 or 128gb but format to exfat32

I've never had any issues with the sd cards that I've purchased from mymemory over the past few years

Back