SD Card Recommendations?

danlat1415

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR970X Plus - 2ch with B-130X battery hardwired
With the DR970X Plus now needing upto 60MB/s write speed in Extreme mode for the front camera (plus whatever the write speed is for the rear)?
As well as increasing official capacity from 256GB to 512GB - what would the recommended SD Cards be for the DR970X Plus?

Most 'endurance' (24/7 write) SD cards usually max out at 40MB/s write speed, with the WD Purple offering 60MB/s write speed.
Blackvue currently don't offer their own 512GB SD Card, despite their dashcam being advertised as now compatible with it.

So what would people recommend is the best suited card for constant recording, high write speed, reliability and comes in 512GB variant.

I've asked Blackvue what they currently recommend and waiting to hear back.

With the DR970X Plus now needing upto 60MB/s write speed in Extreme mode for the front camera (plus whatever the write speed is for the rear)?
As well as increasing official capacity from 256GB to 512GB - what would the recommended SD Cards be for the DR970X Plus?

Most 'endurance' (24/7 write) SD cards usually max out at 40MB/s write speed, with the WD Purple offering 60MB/s write speed.
Blackvue currently don't offer their own 512GB SD Card, despite their dashcam being advertised as now compatible with it.

So what would people recommend is the best suited card for constant recording, high write speed, reliability and comes in 512GB variant.

I've asked Blackvue what they currently recommend and waiting to hear back.
You're not using the correct 'b' in your write speed for the video. The DR970X Plus will write the front video at 60 Mb/s not 60 MB/s. 'B' = Bytes while 'b' = bits. There are 8 bits to a byte so divide the 60 Mb/s by 8 to get the MB/s which is 7.5 MB/s.

I've been successfully using SanDisk Max Endurance cards up to 256 GB with BlackVue dash cameras when I didn't use the BlackVue memory cards.

You're not using the correct 'b' in your write speed for the video. The DR970X Plus will write the front video at 60 Mb/s not 60 MB/s. 'B' = Bytes while 'b' = bits. There are 8 bits to a byte so divide the 60 Mb/s by 8 to get the MB/s which is 7.5 MB/s.

I've been successfully using SanDisk Max Endurance cards up to 256 GB with BlackVue dash cameras when I didn't use the BlackVue memory cards.
Thanks, yes you're correct I hadn't even noticed that bitrate being Mb instead of MB. So the write speed of the cards isn't an issue.

I suppose my question is still - what 512GB cards would Blackvue recommend, seen as they officially produce a 512GB capable dashcam (although previous ones were marketed as 256GB but people had success with higher cards), but Blackvue don't make their own 512GB card - would would be the recommended go to card for those looking to max it out?
For reliability and lifespan

Last edited:
Blackvue's response;

Freddy (BlackVue)

Mar 18, 2024, 18:07 PDT

Hello Daniel,

Yes, it is compatible now with 512GB cards. For the 3rd party SD Card you may want to consider cards like Samsung Pro Endurance, or Samsung Evo+.
These cards are suggested based on our records with 3rd party SD cards that have least record of incompatibilities.
Best Regards,
BlackVue Support Team

I checked with Pittasoft marketing and a tech contact responded with this:
We cannot recommend any brand, but the SD card should be at least Class 10 or U1 (Minimum serial data is 10MB/s)

For BlackVue SD card, mostly, it’s rated U3 to handle 4K recording.

Anyway, BlackVue will release the 512GB SD card soon.

I've been using the SanDisk High Endurance 512GB SD card without any issues for 3 weeks (in multiple DR970X Plus').

Id previously been using 256GB SanDisk High Endurance in previous BlackVue without any issues too.

I've never tried these in a Blackvue, but they are good cards, designed to meet your requirement list:

What's the verdict here? Samsung pro endurance or SanDisk max/high endurance?

Cheers

Both are probably equal.
I've used the Samsung Pro Endurance in previous DR750S and DR900S without any issues.
I changed to the SanDisk with the DR900X Plus and DR970X Plus.

As far as I'm aware, Samsung Pro Endurance doesn't come is a 512GB variant.

*Beware of the fake version of Samsung Pro Endurance 512GB being sold online for really cheap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240409-084043.png
    Screenshot_20240409-084043.png
    462.7 KB · Views: 5
Thanks for the feedback

It looks like SanDisk has 15 years warranty vs Samsungs 5 Years

However Samsung has a longer rewrite capacity.

I doubt I'll be using these 5 years from now.. so the cheaper option maybe the best one

Back