SD Card size

Besty1200

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think this camera recommends 32gb or 64gb. What would happen if you use a much larger card, for example a 256gb? Would it still work ok?

I think this camera recommends 32gb or 64gb. What would happen if you use a much larger card, for example a 256gb? Would it still work ok?
I'm asking because I put a 256gb card in and it appears to be working fine. I'm just wondering if there is a reason why it shouldn't be used.

I'm asking because I put a 256gb card in and it appears to be working fine. I'm just wondering if there is a reason why it shouldn't be used.

I've utilized a 256GB micro-SD card in mine for several years. Initially, everything operates fairly smoothly, but complications arise after extended usage when the storage begins to fill up. It appears that there's some type of bug that occurs when overwriting older data, which causes the dreaded "SD-Card Error" message that prompts me to replace the card before I can use it again. This can sometimes be solved by powering it off and on again, or removing the SD card, powering up the dashcam, and then reinserting the card, but on other occasions the message remains persistent and won't disappear no matter how much you fiddle with it. Interestingly, these issues aren't caused by a failing SD-card, despite the cam's complaints. Deleting the card's partitions has consistently resolved the problem for me, and the dashcam accepts the blank card for reformatting without any objections- at least, until it fills up again. This can be pretty annoying, especially if you don't want to take your card out to reformat it, so I would suggest either using a smaller card or partitioning off 64 or 128GB specifically for use in the dashcam.

Back