Setting up Roadhawk HD on Audi S5

Eph

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had it for a week, so have experimented with window position, SD cards. Here is a clip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z153a7i904xbaew/Road Hawk.MP4?dl=0

I used the 8GB card at first, and it would give about an hour of 12Mbps video at 1080p, 30Hz. Quality was excellent. I turned off sound, since the wife didn't like me recording her conversations. It is set up in
event combo mode, although no events have occurred. Still experimenting with sensitivity for the event trigger.

I have an S5 and the wife has a 535i. Windshields vary by rake. In any case, the camera has to be as high as possible on the windshield and some distance from side pillars or rear view mirror. There needs to be a polarizing filter on this to get rid of the reflections from the dash, especially on the Audi.

My BMW and Audi dealers will run the wiring kits, although I could do it myself. At my age, I have better things to do. The mounting of the camera was a problem. I didn't want a suction cup with the tell-tale marks left saying, "break my window and try to find my device." Instead is used the small stick on mounting device that comes with the camera. I removed the sticky stuff, and covered both sides of the paddle with the soft part of velcro. On the east coast of USA, people use an EZ-Pass transponder to pay the numerous tolls. The transponder is a white rectangular block that sticks to the windshield with 3M dual lock fasteners, and is very stable. I also have a leather cover for this device, that is like a little case that completely encloses it on all sides. There is a flap in the cover that allows me to insert the paddle of the camera support. This is a stable mount and I can use to switch from Audi to BMW, since both have EZ Pass devices. I can snap pictures if anyone is interested.

I am having trouble hardwiring the Roadhawk HD in my Audi S5. I was at the dealer to have them do it and they quoted up to $450 for the labor, due to have to remove part of the headliner, side column, and to find a circuit that will not throw an error with an addition resistance. Right now a wire stretches from the lighter socket straight up to the windshield. It is not pretty. Any ideas?

I am having trouble hardwiring the Roadhawk HD in my Audi S5. I was at the dealer to have them do it and they quoted up to $450 for the labor, due to have to remove part of the headliner, side column, and to find a circuit that will not throw an error with an addition resistance. Right now a wire stretches from the lighter socket straight up to the windshield. It is not pretty. Any ideas?
Get a longer cable and run the wire around the window, hidden behind the trim. Here's Jokiin's guide http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-to-mount-your-camera-and-running-the-cables.3733/

Back