Severe radio interference with the A118

BDPlanoTX

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello people of DashCamTalk.

I'm using the A118 as my rear-view dashcam. It's placed on the top of the rear window with the wire tucked in the header/roof, running into the trunk.. and in the trunk I have this hardwire kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111679237555
The positive wire runs to my cigarette lighter positive and the negative runs to a bolt in my taillight and is screwed down tightly.

My car is a 1997 Honda Accord. I think the antenna for the radio runs through the rear window which is why I'm having issues.

It works well other than that my radio is basically unusable now..

What I've tried:
Snap Choke Ferrite Cores - Picked a couple of these up at radio shack and they sadly didn't seem to help at all.
Different ground sources - Doesn't seem to make a difference.
Using non-hardwire kit (cig lighter socket) - No difference.
Tin foil - Seemed to almost make it worse.
Moving the camera - Moving the camera to the front of the car seems to solve the problem when it gets about halfway to the front with only mild interference. It has to be pretty far from the back for there to be no interference at all.

When I unplug the camera, the interference continues until the capacitor in the camera dies and shuts off, then the radio is usable again.

I've provided as much information as I can.. Did I by any chance get a defective camera? Should I return it to the seller for a replacement? Anyone else having this problem with this camera and/or fixed it? I'm stumped.

grounding the power at the back and pulling the positive power from the front is not good, ever

antenna in the rear window is likely the issue though and very hard to avoid induced noise regardless of what camera you have

I had/have a very similar issue with my wife's '02 Civic. Went through much the same process you did. See this thread for details -

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/question-for-you-electronic-gurus-whoever-you-may-be.11857/

Bottom line is I was able to get it working to the point that my wife is happy (got the interference to move to stations she doesn't listen to) but the problem is still there. I'm suspicious of the Honda audio system itself being a contributor to the problem as I have no issues with the setup in my car that also has the rear window antenna.

Last edited by a moderator:
My A118 interferes with my DAB radio but works fine with FM radio. No idea what the problem is as I dont use the supplied power lead and haven't run any wires yet. Driving me nuts, so much so that I am now considering ditching the A118 for a MiVue 528 which according to reports doesn't interfere with DAB or FM.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B A118 (B40) 10
P A118 (B40) 2
H A118 (B40) 41
Back