SG9665GC Powered by car radio

soup_kitchen

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dash Cam
Front: SG9665GC Rear: Mobius C2
Ordered my SG9665GC from Niko and managed to get the power supplied by my car radio. My radio has a mini-ISO connector for a CD-changer (who still uses this?) and I obtained a pin-out for this connector:

1.png

The C3 connector is the one I used, I soldered the positive-wire to pin 17 (meaning 12V is applied when the Head-Unit is on) and the negative-wire to pin 15 (ground):

IMG_2640.JPG

Tested, and it works!

IMG_2641.JPG

I removed my glovebox and plugged in a 12V splitter. One plug sits in the front behind the golvebox to power the SG9665GC and the other in the rear for my Mobius.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2898.JPG

Next I removed my A-pillar and ran the wires behind the headliner.

IMG_2682.JPG

Installed the SG9665GC...

IMG_2684.JPG

...trimmed the cable cover, and finished!

IMG_2947.JPG

The Mobius is in the rear (see https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/posts/216880/). Both camera's come on when the radio is switched on. Very happy with both camera's!

What is the advantage to having to energize the head unit over connecting the 12 vdc line to an ignition-powered source? Having to energize the head unit for a camera one would want continuously performing just-in-case recording when driving seems to be redundant. Connect-it and forget-it continuous monitoring is one of the best features of this model.

There are many times I drive without my stereo on; having to energize a head unit and mute/lower the volume --just to have my dashcam record would involve two unnecessary steps each time I want the dashcam operating.

CCC

The Mobius also has a super capacitor but doesn't have a boot delay. When the engine pre-heats power is supplied to the camera, but when the engine starts after several seconds, power is cut again for a split second so the camera shuts down. Now I just wait until the engine is running and then I turn on the radio to start the camera's. The SG has a boot delay so indeed it could be powered by a fuse tap, no problem.

There are many times I drive without my stereo on; having to energize a head unit and mute/lower the volume --just to have my dashcam record would involve two unnecessary steps...
Well your mileage will vary.
I never listen to the radio when driving, what happens outside is already maxing out my attention, but the tuner is always ON and muted, just so it comes up when a traffic info message is broadcast.
Now, usually my SatNav already warned me, but hey better safe than sorry.

weird install. I don't get it. why not just install a switch on the dash, same as turning a radio on.

In some way I do like unconventional solutions, as long as it works for him.
You should see how many "weird solutions" I have made in my life ( also dashcam related ), but thinking and doing "not like others" may lead to some new interesting discoveries ! ;)

Back