SGZC12RC as side camera recording mode?

wumpyr99

Reaction score
Country
Australia
When using SGZC12RC for side camera use, is it better configured at 720p 60fps or 1080p 30fps? Motion blur etc.

720p captures less info, a higher frame rate can make it look smoother but there's still less detail

Another question, what is recommended to mount this as a side camera above the rear door near the B pillar? i.e. Will the standard ring mount and VHB tape stick down ok to the rubber seal around the door frame or another method is better for side mounting?

Another question, what is recommended to mount this as a side camera above the rear door near the B pillar? i.e. Will the standard ring mount and VHB tape stick down ok to the rubber seal around the door frame or another method is better for side mounting?

Depends on your car rear door frame design. Some cars doors may have doors frame metal surface space left, then you can mount directly onto it, however mounting on the door frame top part requires run cables along side door hinge and this is not an easy job.

Best if you do small DIY mount base-plate. NB! Act on your own risk !

I do believe your cas has ceiling handles over the rear door. Mount piece of "extension" metal plate under handle screws ( you can paint it same colour as your interior ceiling for better look ). This way you will be able to stick 3M vhb tape camera mount to that "extension plate". Hope you know what I am trying to say.

My quick drawing I have made on the go.

20151223_105830.jpg

Hi @niko Thanks for the diagrams. Perhaps I can get a plastic plate? maybe 3D printed if I design it. The headliner handles are mounted quite back in the car. There are also hooks further forward for latching the rear protector screen (it's an estate/wagon). See attached picture I found online. I might be able to use those as anchor points for the bracket. Obviously this is a "it depends" question, but if I am mounting 4 cams, will I actually get 360 degree coverage? If the side cams are mounted to the rear of the window area near your head, will they be too far back? The car is ~4.9 metres long.

If I mount to the interior trim thick seal (not the door), it has a slight texture to it. What tape would work best if I go this path?

Attachments

• mercedes-benz_c_220_bluetec_estate_uk-spec_9.jpeg
    mercedes-benz_c_220_bluetec_estate_uk-spec_9.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 12
will you get 360 degree coverage, not exactly, the odds of something happening just in any blind spot and not being picked up would be very small indeed

My experiments with 1080p/30 cameras on the side is pretty good, on a sunny day the exposure timing get so high i get razor sharp images of road markers as i wizz by at 80 km/h

BUT ! as light become scarce the problems with blur on things up close get worse comparing to a simmilar camera pointing forward or out back, but then again no matter the direction of the camera low light and things pasing by at speed is not a good mix.

So as long as you dont have unrealistic expectations to the day to day performance i think the value of a side camera is okay, i wouldent be without mine as they catch many phonejunkies in ther cars.

That beeing said i still put 90% of my hopes / trust in my main front camera, the other 3 cameras is just icing on the cake im so addicted to :D

At least i am still able to part with my old cameras, the joy of giving still outweigh my dashcam addiction :)

Back