Snatch Theft

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
FF about halfway through. This was a car theft at where I live last night. From entering the lot to leaving with the car was about 2 1/2 minutes. I've given the Police this vid and all the others I have of the event and they have more info on the suspect too, so hopefully they will be caught quickly.

Phil

Poor Honda is a front wheel drive too :( I wonder how much damage that does to the transmission.

Poor Honda is a front wheel drive too :( I wonder how much damage that does to the transmission.
Just a few less parts available for sale. Most stolen cars go directly to a chop shop for parts removal and sale.

I'm sure they knocked it out of gear from underneath- easy to do with most cars. Only wish I had better vids for them :( I'm pretty sure it being dismantled already, as body parts for those are in high demand and it's the weekend when more of that goes on around here. Probably 50+ 'back yard' body shops within 20 miles of here and not enough Cops to even begin checking them all. Easy to get the remnants crushed without question here too.

I thought "Repo" myself at first, but the owner says not and if they had a key (which they would have then) they would have been in and out in around 45 seconds, not 2 1/2 minutes. I had to manually scan through hours of vids to find everything- the downside of using constant recording when parked- but I don't mind helping out when I can.

Phil

The beat up looking tow trucks with no markings always make me nervous. Years ago my brother had a new Chevy Cavalier he parked on the street. Damn thing was always getting broken into because the steering wheel igniton switch/lock parts would fit into more expensive GM stuff that were profitable to steal.

I have never heard of a chop shop here, but i know some people have stolen a car or ordered a car stolen for parts for their own car project, but i am not aware of a place where you could go and get cheap parts.
Also many a higher end car stolen here get transported out of there, and often end up on the markets in the wild east, the same go for working equipment as diggers ASO.
One of the only things that make me happy i can not afford a higher end popular car, cuz no one would even look at my little Suzuki unless there is a Alienware laptop lying on the seat.

Snatch theft is going big-time here since everyone who see it happen presumes it's a repo :rolleyes: There are some defenses: a car alarm with tilt sensor, turning your wheels all the way to one side, using the parking brake, blocking with other cars etc but only the alarm and blocking is really effective- all the other methods only slow them down somewhat and make the job harder. At the car 30-45 seconds will do for a repo with a key, double that time without a key (which seems to be what happened here). The big-timers work in pairs; a plain car cruises around looking for 'marks', they call the truck after checking things out or sometimes after dropping someone off to make the car ready to grab instantly in a few minutes time. In the last case it's about 20 seconds once the truck arrives. Nobody is safe- they're even grabbing cars from single-family-home driveways in good neighborhoods o_O

The most often stolen cars here aren't the expensive ones, but the common ones instead. They're wanting the body parts for repairs mostly, with each car being stripped in under an hour grossing $1000 or more in untraceable parts they can sell immediately. Little risk and a big payoff as long as you know someone who will crush the remains quietly for you, and in the end each person involved will net $200 per hour or more :whistle: Via backroads or highways you can be in 3 other states in an hour or less from here which makes it nearly impossible to keep up with :( I hold little hope for my neighbor ever seeing his car again 20 hours later but maybe we can catch the thieves.

Phil

I suppose this is one scenario when one of those expensive cloud dashcams could be useful, if it can save recordings to a remote server. Or, even better, have an external cctv watching your car (for those cars being stolen from driveways).

With stuff like this going on, I'm tempted to add a mobile phone line to my account for an extra $10/month to use with an old phone. Throw that in the car, hardwire in a micro USB cable and hide the phone. The cheapest GPS trackers seem to go for about $20/month.

Unfortunately, wide-range jammers are also pretty cheap. Chinese GPS/GSM tracker or cloud dashcam isn't the saviour then. At least when a thief is professional as the above one.

With stuff like this going on, I'm tempted to add a mobile phone line to my account for an extra $10/month to use with an old phone. Throw that in the car, hard wire in a micro USB cable and hide the phone. The cheapest GPS trackers seem to go for about $20/month.

Thats sort of what i was thinking if i was able to get a #2 sim card so i could share my data plan, and then have that #2 phone act as a wifi AP in the car, so you get both mobile wifi / AP and tracking via find my phone.
I am not going to get a dedicated mobile data plan just for wifi / tracking in the car, i don't have that sort of money, for a need that pretty much are not there.

Unfortunately, wide-range jammers are also pretty cheap. Chinese GPS/GSM tracker or cloud dashcam isn't the saviour then. At least when a thief is professional as the above one.
I don't think the thief above is that sophisticated. He was stealing a Honda Accord that is worth around $3,000 USD.

Here a 2010 Accord 2.0 elegance AUT with 82K miles on the clock will set you back 16700 USD or 114000 DKkr

So common sense dictate that the cheap US accord will make a killing as parts on the DK market.

The price new for the Danish accord in 2010 was 58300 USD :censored:

So please some times when i rant about my country, do think about that i might have a very good reason to do so.

Last edited:
I don't think the thief above is that sophisticated. He was stealing a Honda Accord that is worth around $3,000 USD.
It's likely it wasn't being stolen for the car itself, but rather for the parts. Older, popular cars are targeted for theft because of the demand for 'cheap' parts because people don't want to pay top dollar for new parts for an old car.

It's likely it wasn't being stolen for the car itself, but rather for the parts. Older, popular cars are targeted for theft because of the demand for 'cheap' parts because people don't want to pay top dollar for new parts for an old car.

Exactly. The more common the car, the larger the demand is for parts damaged in crashes and from wear-and-tear, so to a thief a plain older can can bring higher profits than a newer or less common ones. It's market driven and has nothing to do with a cars resale value or original cost.

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rajagra Your Dash Cam Videos (recorded by you) 3
Prog Your Dash Cam Videos (recorded by you) 2
Back