Software for editing DashCam Videos?

GregKet1

Reaction score
Country
United States
The best would be a very simple system that would need to do 3 things:
  • Quickly and easily grab a "snippet" from a longer video (Datakam does this pretty well).
  • Allow static "overlays" to block out things like the GPS Coordinates and Speed recorded by the camera.
  • Allow Dynamic or "floating" overlays to cover license plates.
My personal preference would be for a OS X application but I could make do with Windows or Linux apps too.

Anyone know of anything out there?

On a Mac running OSX a simple solution would be iMovie in conjunction with Quicktime Player for grabbing "snippets" from longer videos.

Not sure about the floating overlays however. You may need something more sophisticated than iMove for that. iMovie can do some overlays actually but I'm not sure you can float them dynamically.

@Dashmellow, Thanks for the idea. i

Movie can do #1 and #2. Certainly not easily. But it can. I had to create a PNG that was 1080 wide and 50pix high to mask the bottom bar from my DashCam. Then overlay that onto the actual Dashcam footage, adjust the duration to match the footage, turn off the "ken burns" effect, then save the output. But at least I can now mask info I don't want public.

Reading about Adobe After Effects, it will do the floating overlays. But I don't want to spend that much money...

Many people are not aware that you can do simple editing with Quicktime Player. In the "Edit" drop down menu choose "Split Clip" or "Trim". This will let you easily select a portion of the video you are viewing and delete the rest. You can then save and export the chosen clip. You can also add other clips to the one you just shortened by using the "Add Clip to End" command. Experiment with this a bit and you'll get the hang of it easily. Basically this is your simple way to "easily grab a "snippet" from a longer video" and then work with that clip in iMovie. Quicktime Player has other cool features many don't know about. Try a search about it.

Last edited:
Many people are not aware that you can do simple editing with Quicktime Player. In the "Edit" drop down me
I use quicktime a lot too, it does most jobs easily and fast. It can even put video in video, only drawback is that resulting video works only in quicktime, if you watch it with any other program you will see 2 separate videos, not two in one.

I'd like to know how I can zoom in & out of shots?

I use ffmpeg to split out the streams from my 2 channel cam. Then use Wondershare Video Editor to do what I want from there. You can zoom, crop, PIP, tansition and a whole lot more. I like it.

I went with Pinnacle Studio 17 Plus. All of the features I wanted and more. As someone who's never done any video editing it was hard to learn on but once you get going it gets much better.

Back