[Solved] Git1 is not a reliable dash cam

You can try to power the camera without battery, or another memory card.

Regarding the memory card, before I saw a odd issue on a 64GB kingston card, it seems working as the recording red .dot is blinking but nothing recorded, then I can confirmed it is defective but only used about 1 week.
Sometimes the memory card cause some strange issue.

Anyway, @gngan is at Hongkong, it is easy for us to solve this issue.

No...the battery is pretty much full. I will try it in my friend's car and see if it's the same.

Regarding the CarLicenseNum file.... i formatted the card with Git1 and in my computer (fat32) but for some reason... it's still showing in the videos. Tried it with another card that doesn't have the CarLicenseNum file but it's still showing in the video. Do i have to set it Off first then remove the txt file?

Okeey, i beleive its your cars output or charger..
Yes, you have to set it to OFF in the script, Then make a record then after that remove the file.

@gitup Thanks for sending me the tester cable and 12v. I've tested it. It would auto start when I unlock my car (same as my Anker 12v and cable) but wouldn't start recording. Checked the amp and it's around 0.4a (Anker was 0.37a). Tried turning off the git1 and unplugging then replugging the cable...the git1 would auto start and record this way.

I am guessing Git1 is more picky than general dash cam. My BMW F30 is 2.5 years old so maybe it's the battery. I will try it on my friend's 2015 CX5. Once my Git2 arrives from GB then I will try it too. :)

Not sure what the CarLicenseNum file is all about (I'm interested in it for myself though -- anyone?), but this may simply be a settings issue. The Git1 isn't designed to auto start recording without changing some settings.

Try this:

1) Hold power button to turn Git1 on
2) Press power button three more times until Git1 shows "Settings" menu. Yes, the power button, not the settings button. Different settings menu there.
3) Press shuter button to enter the settings menu
4) Hit power 7 times until Car Mode Auto-Start is selected, then press shutter once to turn it on.

There's a ton more settings in there, as of firmware version 1.4 (on GitUp.com's site here by the way), there's 17 of them across three pages. Missing that settings menu was what threw me off too, I knew there had to be something different.

Hopefully I'm giving you something new to try and not just something that you already know. Once you're in movie mode, the settings button will adjust the video settings, but the camera settings are adjusted by the power button.

Not sure what the CarLicenseNum file is all about (I'm interested in it for myself though -- anyone?), but this may simply be a settings issue. The Git1 isn't designed to auto start recording without changing some settings.

Try this:

1) Hold power button to turn Git1 on
2) Press power button three more times until Git1 shows "Settings" menu. Yes, the power button, not the settings button. Different settings menu there.
3) Press shuter button to enter the settings menu
4) Hit power 7 times until Car Mode Auto-Start is selected, then press shutter once to turn it on.

There's a ton more settings in there, as of firmware version 1.4 (on GitUp.com's site here by the way), there's 17 of them across three pages. Missing that settings menu was what threw me off too, I knew there had to be something different.

Hopefully I'm giving you something new to try and not just something that you already know. Once you're in movie mode, the settings button will adjust the video settings, but the camera settings are adjusted by the power button.

Thanks for the detail instructions but I actually tried and know those settings. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, thanks GitUp for the superb CS. A big thumbs up to them for standing up on their product! I’m also in the CS industry and they’ve gone way beyond any companies I’ve seen or I’ve ever done for my clients. They’ve answering questions in the forum, sent me a 3 meter mini-usb cable, a 12V charger to test on my original Git1. They even offered me to go to their booth during the exhibition in HK but I wasn’t able to meet them due to work. Tested those in my car with my first Git1 and it still wouldn’t auto start/record most of the time. They’ve sent me a Git1 replacement which I received it last week. The same issue is happening but this time I’ve made a video comparing the Git1 and Git2 which i’ve purchased from GB.

The replacement Git1 still wouldn’t auto start/record despite using the original cable while the Git2 auto start/record. I’ve tested with a Transcend 64gb and a SanDisk 32gb. During the test, the Transcend showed a “cluster error” and pressing anything on the Git1 wouldn’t do anything but in Git2, I am able to format it and test it. After formatting it in the Git2, it also worked in the Git1. Note that the Transcend is a brand new card that I bought 2 weeks ago and only used during my trip to Japan. All videos during the trip worked so unsure what’s wrong with it. Anyway, please see the video and see if you can point out anything else I can try. Note that the only time the Git1 would record is when i press the power button in the video mode (video shown in 12:19 and 13:50). I am guessing that it’s a chip or firmware issue on the Git1 because Git2 works perfectly while both of the Git1 isn’t.

Video testing was done on 1.3 but I also tried 1.4 and outcome is the same.

gngan you have motion detection on, set it to OFF and try again..

The replacement Git1 still wouldn’t auto start/record despite using the original cable while the Git2 auto start/record. I’ve tested with a Transcend 64gb and a SanDisk 32gb. During the test, the Transcend showed a “cluster error” and pressing anything on the Git1 wouldn’t do anything but in Git2, I am able to format it and test it. After formatting it in the Git2, it also worked in the Git1. Note that the Transcend is a brand new card that I bought 2 weeks ago and only used during my trip to Japan. All videos during the trip worked so unsure what’s wrong with it. Anyway, please see the video and see if you can point out anything else I can try. Note that the only time the Git1 would record is when i press the power button in the video mode (video shown in 12:19 and 13:50). I am guessing that it’s a chip or firmware issue on the Git1 because Git2 works perfectly while both of the Git1 isn’t

Sorry to hear that.
But this one is tested by myself and confirmed it will auto start recording in car DVR mode before shipping.

Sorry to hear that.
But this one is tested by myself and confirmed it will auto start recording in car DVR mode before shipping.

Thanks for confirming. I don't doubt that! That is why I am guessing it's a chip or firmware that sets the Git1 and Git2 apart.

Did you notice any settings or steps I did wrong in the video? I do notice when I'm video mode... the timer would show 0:00:00 or random time but doesn't auto start recording. Another thing I notice when I am testing is that the Git1 would sometimes auto start recording when I go through the menu (video>picture>playback>setting>video) while in Git2... going through the same steps...it would not auto start recording when it is back to video mode.

I will completely ignore this thread and other questions from gngan who is not following sugested metods to solve his problem wich now showed to be not a problem..

you have motion detect on and it looks like you have a lens cap on, if it can't see any motion with the CMOS sensor it won't start recording

Yeah, the lens cap was on. It's interesting that you've point out the motion detection because I would have thought it would auto start recording as long as it's powered regardless on the motion detect or lens cap. I thought the purpose of motion detect is so the camera would auto record when someone/something moves in front of it when the camera is off. For instance, a person walked in front of the car and it would start recording. I've tested on Git1 and Git2 (3 times each) with the motion detect off and it would auto start recording. When I set it on...both Git1 and Git2 would turn on but NOT auto record but when I swing it then it would auto record. Previously, when the motion detect is on and I start moving my car...it wouldn't start recording. I guess the movement isn't big enough to trigger it?

On the side note, does anyone know how the motion detect works on Git1/2? For instance, how far/close the object needs to be in view in order to trigger it?

I will completely ignore this thread and other questions from gngan who is not following sugested metods to solve his problem wich now showed to be not a problem..

Apology. When I first read your post… I saw it as gyro is set to on. Now that I re-read it…it’s motion detect. Didn’t meant to ignore your suggestion.

I’ll be driving my car tomorrow so I can further test it. Fingers cross.

I thought the purpose of motion detect is so the camera would auto record when someone/something moves in front of it when the camera is off. .

camera has to be on for motion detect to work

I've tested on Git1 and Git2 (3 times each) with the motion detect off and it would auto start recording. When I set it on...both Git1 and Git2 would turn on but NOT auto record but when I swing it then it would auto record.

precisely how it is meant to function

in other words, nothing to see here, your camera is working as expected

Camera off means no power at all, in any circumstance. Camera on with motion detect means it will only record when it senses movement in the picture. Once it sees enough of the picture has changed, it will start recording.

Distance doesn't matter as long as it's a large enough change in the image. I've had raindrops on my window trigger motion detection on some of my cameras, but it will sometimes not capture people walking 50 feet (15 meters) away as the sensitivity is set too low for that (not that I want that kind of video clogging up my memory card anyways).

If you're using it as a dash cam, my advice is this:
- If you only want it to record when the accessory circuit in your car is on (think: whenever the radio is on), wire it to the accessory circuit, disable motion detection, and enable Car Mode Auto-Start
- If you want it to record at all times, wire it to something like the Vico Power Plus , enable motion detection, and let it do it's thing. Car Mode Auto-Start may be needed here as well to wake the Git1 up if the Vico Power Plus kills power at any point.

It sounds like maybe you want both, in that it always records when the accessory circuit is on, but also when motion is triggered while the car is off. If that's true, go with the Vico Power Plus route. If you're sitting in a traffic jam for 20 minutes, isn't it preferable to not have 20 minutes of uneventful video on your card?

Thanks for everyone (especially GitUp) for your support and suggestion. Appreciate it.

To everyone who is doubting GitUp's CS and product, I highly recommend it!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
xmyladylostx Git1 11
T Git1 7
M Git1 8
M Git1 4
C Git1 10
Back