[Solved] H.265 how to?

ichgebgas

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hi,

I somehow cannot find it. I want 2560 x 1440P 60fps with H.265. I tried FW 2.5 and FW 2.6T. With 2880x2160 P30 it works fine, but as soon as I switch to 2560 x 1440P it is again H.264.
I see youtube footage, where people use 2560 x 1440P 60fps with H.265. It must be possible. But how?!

I searched here but could not find a solution.

I'm looking forward to any helpful hints!
Thanks! :)

Are you sure you need 265 ?

If you need the footage to send off for a claim, insurance/Police the recipient may not be able to play 265.

If it's just for personal use then fine.

Are you sure you need 265 ?

If you need the footage to send off for a claim, insurance/Police the recipient may not be able to play 265.

If it's just for personal use then fine.

Thanks for your concern. I am sure :)
It's for my personal use only. I am travelling long periods (3 months non stop in the moment). It will save a lot of space. I anyway convert all videos to H.265. But this could save me one step.
Do you have a solution?

Does this help?

This I already found myself. I was searching already for a while. This is the way to activate H.265 with an elder FW. But it's not working with 2.5 or 2.6T. Do you know which FW is used for this "trick"?
Or any hints how to do it with the actual FWs?

This I already found myself. I was searching already for a while. This is the way to activate H.265 with an elder FW. But it's not working with 2.5 or 2.6T. Do you know which FW is used for this "trick"?
Or any hints how to do it with the actual FWs?
I don’t remember which firmware I used with this. Perhaps it’s changed with a newer firmware for some strange reason?

From the deepest recesses of my memory, doesn't 265 have to be licenced, at a cost, and manufacturers don't see the point of the added expense so are dropping it ?

It will save a lot of space.
This isn't actually true. If you don't need the quality of maximum bitrate H264, you can just turn down the bitrate setting, and that will genuinely save you space. The H265 settings do save some space but only because they also turn down the bitrate. The H265 settings give lower quality due to the lower bitrates used, they do not manage significantly better compression for typical dashcam use.

I don’t remember which firmware I used with this. Perhaps it’s changed with a newer firmware for some strange reason?
It could be that there were performance issues with the 60fps 2K setting that required it being disabled for that setting. H265 does require more processing power.

Also, new firmware may see it disappear from all resolutions due to licensing issues.

This isn't actually true. If you don't need the quality of maximum bitrate H264, you can just turn down the bitrate setting, and that will genuinely save you space. The H265 settings do save some space but only because they also turn down the bitrate. The H265 settings give lower quality due to the lower bitrates used, they do not manage significantly better compression for typical dashcam use.
This might be right for 1080P. The higher the resolution the bigger the advatange of H.265. Especial with 4k you can see the difference.
This is an endless discussion and I don't wanna have this right now. I just want to know how to set up this cam in the way I've seen it on peoples footage. Can you help me please with that?
It could be that there were performance issues with the 60fps 2K setting that required it being disabled for that setting. H265 does require more processing power.

Also, new firmware may see it disappear from all resolutions due to licensing issues.
Maybe. 2.5 and 2.6T can do H.265, but only on the highest resolution. If it can hadle this the lower settings I require shall be noch problem for the cam.
So, how to set it up?

Thanks for your help.
I'm currently travelling and would love to find a quick solution!

H.265 does have to be licensed, but I think the cost is small.
The actual hardware requirements of H.265 are quire demanding vs 264 and I'd be surprised if a dashcam, even a high end unit could compress with 265 in a meaningful way in real time with the on-board hardware.
In better circumstances 265 will deliver a better picture than 264 for the same space, but again, i don't think the dashcam can deliver this.
I'm transitioning to preferring H.265 for archiving video for general (non dashcam things) but i'd think considering the potential low priority implementation and high demands on hardware 265 has i would stick with H.264.
Don't take this as solid advice, my experiences with this have been mostly on PC's and not embedded systems.
If someone has been running 265 for and extended period and found it reliable and useful it would be nice to hear.

Maybe. 2.5 and 2.6T can do H.265, but only on the highest resolution. If it can hadle this the lower settings I require shall be noch problem for the cam.
So, how to set it up?
I think maybe it is the 60Hz that is the issue more than the resolution, H265 takes too long.

This might be right for 1080P. The higher the resolution the bigger the advatange of H.265. Especial with 4k you can see the difference.
That is just not the case for dashcam footage. If it is a a video of a TV studio with simple images and little movement then certainly H265 does better, most movie footage is also better, largely because movies use massive processing power and a lot of time to produce "perfect" compression using variable bitrates, but for dashcam footage using constant bitrate compressed in real time, H265 does not do better than H264, even at 4K.

H.265 does have to be licensed, but I think the cost is small.
Depends on how many devices you are producing. For someone like Sony, or Samsung then yes, it is insignificant, but for the manufacturers who only make dashcams, it is very significant and with risk of being sued even after you have paid, since license requirements for all parts of H265 are not clear!

I'm transitioning to preferring H.265 for archiving video for general (non dashcam things) but i'd think considering the potential low priority implementation and high demands on hardware 265 has i would stick with H.264.
For dashcam video, I recommend using VP9 instead, or if you have sufficient processing power use AV1, they do a better job than H265.

If someone has been running 265 for and extended period and found it reliable and useful it would be nice to hear.
H265 on the Viofo cameras works fine, it just doesn't provide any advantage over H264!
For some people it does work better on their computers, basically people using Apple products, so that is a good reason to use it on the dashcam, otherwise it is of no advantage.

IIRC on the A139, h.265 gives you a 4% file size savings on the rear and interior cams plus a 14% savings on the front cam. So smaller files for long term archived storage and more clips saved on the card.

H.265 files are smaller than H.264 ones for the same “quality” video. My speculation is that A119 V3 FW automatically switching to H.265 format for high bit rate files is just for the purpose of relief of its processor strain and reducing SD card writing speed requirement.
Regarding more recording time with H.265 files, it might not be necessary. For me, years of recording, I only need to save minutes of files.

still has my request no answer. Does anyone know, how to set up the cam as asked in my first posting? This would be highly appreciated.

Try this :

1. Stop Recording by pressing the record button
  2. Long press the MIC button for 4 seconds
  3. Enter the MENU and select the resolution settings.
  4. You should see a 3840×2160 24fps option (do not use this option since it is fake 4k). However all resolutions will now record with H.265.

Try this :

2. Long press the MIC button for 4 seconds
  3. Enter the MENU and select the resolution settings.
  4. You should see a 3840×2160 24fps option (do not use this option since it is fake 4k). However all resolutions will now record with H.265.
See post No 3 and my answer(s).
This worked only for elder FWs, as it seems.

Anyone with a solution for the latest FWs?

Ohhh, I may have found something... I will try this tomorrow. Long day of driving...

It seems to work fine.
I was focussing on the wrong details. Switching between H.264 and H.265 with the new firmware is much simpler than described above.

2. Holding MIC for some seconds until the new symbol on the left appears = HEVC H.265 on. Holding MIC again for some seconds returns to H.264.

That's it. No need to enter MENU or looking up the 3840×2160 24fps resolution, which has disappeard in the lates firmwares.

The quality is fine, I can't see a difference between H.264 and H.265 with the same settings.

File size is also as expected. I do 5min pieces. With H.264 I get file sizes between 966-1098 MB, with H.265 the maximum file size I had so far was 892 MB. That makes min. 888 MB per hour less amount of data. That's a lot.

I checked the temperatur from time to time. Also no problems there. The cam maximum got hand warm. Not even close to hot like my old mobius cam. (That cam has two heat sinks on the outside. After a while I couldn't touch it anymore because of the temperature. Over the years of extensive use the case meltet completely into one unseperable block. But the cam still works fine :))

Here is some raw footage @ 1440P 60fps | CPL | fw 2.6T | HEVC H.265 | high bitrate on daylight

And at night with low beam and high beam lights

Back