Some prepurchase queries

Reaction score
Country
United States
Planning on buying a Mobius but have some basic questions caused by only seeing various scattered photos of it.
  1. Is the overheating an issue with external USB power? How much of one?
  2. Can I configure it all standalone, or do I need to find a Windoze machine & use that utility I saw somewhere?
  3. I saw something about avoiding 32GB memory cards newer then class 4; ie don't get a 10. True?
  4. How does the suction cup mount fasten to the camera?

1. If you live in Florida, Texas, Southern California, etc, then the Mobius may not be a good choice for your climate.

2. See http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7...ll-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html#comments & watch the Techmoan video.

3. From Post #2 at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559 ... Class 4 memory cards from popular manufacturers provide the best compatibility with this camera and are strongly recommended. Class 6 and Class 10 cards, at best, do NOTHING to improve the camera's video and cost more, and at worst, they may not work properly! Also read Posts 1 to 4, as they're full of great information.

4. See 2. above & watch video

Planning on buying a Mobius but have some basic questions caused by only seeing various scattered photos of it.
  1. Is the overheating an issue with external USB power? How much of one?
  2. Can I configure it all standalone, or do I need to find a Windoze machine & use that utility I saw somewhere?
  3. I saw something about avoiding 32GB memory cards newer then class 4; ie don't get a 10. True?
  4. How does the suction cup mount fasten to the camera?

(1) Please check out the thread, http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-mobius-heat-issues.2392/ The issue with heat is not just because of the USB, but because it's putting out a lot of power in a very small area. The issue becomes important on very hot days. Some are suggesting putting a larger heat sink to help and others are suggesting putting a heat sink with a small fan. Both would help, neither would hurt.

(2) The Techmon video is something you want to watch. Yes there is a way to generate a text file that can be edited on a MAC or Linux computer and set the Mobius.

(3) Even at the highest data rate, 32GB would lot a lot of video. I don't recall any problems, but a class 4, 16GB card, assuming it's not a cheap off brand will do nicely.

(4) There is a special clip that mounts unto the camera which has a tripod mount. Just watch the Techmon video, it answers a lot of questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. The trip in question is upcoming soon, not midsummer, and from DC to the Bay area, so I hope it will be OK.
  2. The Techmoan video was excellent; it filled in many gaps in my understanding. I can edit the config file directly on a Mac so I don't need to worry about what flavor of Windows the config tool requires.
  3. This makes little sense to me from a hardware engineering standpoint,newer cards should just have tighter specs re: access time; but I'll go with the flow there as I found a Class4 card available.
  4. Finally, good pictures of the mounting system....Clever!

Thanks for the enlightenment.....

Back