Sometimes Won't Auto-Start

rob10e

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two Mobius ActionCams with capacitors. I updated to the latest firmware a couple months ago (Sept 2016) and ever since then approx 1 out of every 10 times the cameras will not auto-start. I shut the car off, restart the car, and the cameras auto-start. Anyone know if this is a bug in the latest firmware?

In some cars, especially diesels and/or cars from the GM group, capacitor-based Mobius can be unreliable because they don't tolerate any fluctuation in power.

If the cam receives power when you put the key in the ignition it starts up, followed by immediate shutting down if it detects a momentary power flicker during cranking of the engine.

In my car, capacitor-Mobius is only about 10% reliable unless I use some kind of switch so I can leave Mobius off until after I've started the engine. Battery Mobius is not a problem apart from risk of battery failure.

That's because that 1 out of 10 times the Mobius was already recording in ACC mode. Firing up the engine while in ACC mode leads to a temporary loss of power to a capacitor powered Mobius.

I'm facing the same issue with my diesel car (mostly an issue with Diesel engines). I just make sure that if the car is in ACC mode, I go back to OFF mode and then fire up the engine (mine's a push button ignition). One can wire a timer to the power source to overcome this issue but I preferred not to.

Last edited:
Oh - I also ran some tests on capacitor-Mobius and found that it takes approximately 5s for the cam to boot up, followed by a further 20s for the cap to charge sufficiently to allow a proper shutdown.
Therefore if you were to have an accident within the first 25s of your journey the cam probably won't be able to save the file. Battery version doesn't suffer this problem.

The similar-size JooVuu X takes 6s to boot up, a further 10s to charge its cap, and doesn't switch off when there's a brief power fluctuation.

Hope you are using fat32 file system, ex fat can cause some problems.

Or as the other guys say it can be a issue with diesel cars, so you have to delay boot so the camera only start when the diesel car is done doing its things to be able to start.

I have a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe turbo gas engine, one Mobius in the front windshield and one in the rear hatch window, plugged into front and rear cig lighter power ports using Mobius cig lighter adapters, push button start, fat32 config. The cig lighter ports are always dead until ignition, then become hot. I'll try to pay attention to my car start procedure going forward and see if I'm possibly hitting the start button too fast or not long enough. I'll also pay attention if the cig lighter port becomes hot when I push the brake in to start, or when I actually press the start button. Battery is not an option in Florida because of the heat. I've had them swell up in this temperature. Thanks for the info here...sounds like I'm not the only one to experience the problem.

My mobius ( 1 ) is performing nominal, with the latest firmware, and it get its power from a PSU that was supplied with my SG9665GC.

If i ever get to a place when i can buy a new car again, i will have to research which cars i can get that stop/start BS disabled, cuz i will not have that on a car of mine.

@kamkar1 Is your Suzuki Splash/A-Star the 1.3 diesel? If so, are you facing the same issue?

No more diesel for me, its the < 1000 ccm gasoline burner, with a massive 65 BHP :eek:

No more diesel for me, its the < 1000 ccm gasoline burner, with a massive 65 BHP :eek:

My wife's little car is 999cc, petrol, three-cylinder, about 75BHP - Opel Karl (Vauxhall Viva). It's not fast but it has acceptable performance and I like it a lot for being very good at what it's intended to do, which is drive around town with occasional use on faster roads.
Believe it or not, I actually enjoy driving it.
Sure, the lack of a turbocharger makes it rather sluggish to pick up speed above 40mph so you have to be prepared to hold the lower gears - 3rd gear when joining the 70mph motorways or dual carriageways at busy times - but that's not a problem on 20-30mph town roads that it is intended for. On the other hand the lack of a turbocharger means it doesn't have those annoying boost surges when trying to pull away at busy junctions in town traffic, nor does it become unresponsive/bog down with turbo lag.

Earlier this year I tried a Peugeot 308 GTi and although it had 250BHP it suffered from severe turbo lag which made it unpleasant to drive unless being driven like I'd just stolen it. I would feel a lot less confident driving a 308GTi in busy town traffic (especially on wet or icy roads) than my wife's car.

Long live compact town cars with small naturally aspirated engines!

Im just happy if it dont break down all the time, and dont use too much gasoline, and then i dont have to walk from A to B

Other than that its just a car.

Jeremy Clarkson would not love me, my relationship to cars are far too pragmatic for him to handle i am sure.
But if i could i too would buy outrageous vehicles, but even then i am sure jezzer would get mad with me. :p

Hell i might even buy a motorcycle :D

Back