Sony sensors

Trick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
I've been looking out to buy a new Nikon DSLR, and noticed nearly all UK stockists of D7100/7200 have no stock. With no known ETA of new units.
Digging a little deeper it appears that Sony make the sensors for Nikon and due to the recent earthquakes in Japan the factory is shut. With no estimated time of when production will restart. There is more to read here http://m.dpreview.com/news/0555964809/kumamoto-earthquake-keeps-sony-sensor-factory-shuttered
Hope @jokiin has plenty of sensor stock!

I think they have most of it back in production now, although there will be shortages of some sensors for a while. You might expect Nikon to have priority, but I guess they don't buy many sensors compared to iPhone!

Japan is famous for just in time supply, if that is how jokiin works then we would have seen shortages of cameras by now...

we have stock of the sensors already, a lot of the parts we buy in advance and hold stock, not for this reason but just because of lead times

Im no big fan of JIT

No margin for error, and at least here you need that, and if the government is involved that margin need to be huge, like 6 to 7 digit huge

Back