Sorry, Newbie Question

Kabish

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've always ran dashcams, but have never ran one with parking mode enabled, so I have a couple newbie questions..

My setup:
Ford Mach-E (All electric)
iPhone 12 Pro with latest iOS
U1000 Front/Rear
Cellink Neo
-Cellink is powered via 12v cig connector
-Dashcam is powered also by the 12v cig connector going to the Cellink Neo
-Cellink is set to low per manual
-Temp setup till I can hardwire the Neo

Bank is receiving power and at 100%, camera is also receiving power and is powered on and recording.

My questions..
-Seems like the dashcam records non stop as it technically is always receiving power from the Neo. Camera generates a good amount of heat running like that and its only in the 70's right now. Is there anyway to setup the camera so it will record contentious while driving, then once parked shut off the contentious and just record with motion or impact? I know the car powers the 12v for like 15 minutes after parked, after that it shuts down the power to the 12v cig connector. As it stands right now, when I get into the car its already recording and will log an impact alert when I close my car door... I've searched through the settings and can't seem to find anything to accomplish this.

-Hotspot... This one was kicking my butt, the software, at least on iOS, is awful. I have a wifi hotspot built into my car that has cellular internet access. Is it not possible to setup the dashcam so it uses the car's internet hotspot vs having to use the phone? After 45 minutes or so I was FINALLY able to get the U1000 "registered" to the cloud via my personal iPhone Hotspot. However now when I attempt to connect it to my car's hotspot, it says its connected to the internet but I can't seem to use the app. Does the Cloud service just provide a live view stream and location, or will it actually store clips to the cloud?

Sorry for the newbie questions.. I was looking through to see if anyone had these questions and was not having much luck.

So looks like I might have answered my own question.

Seems like you can't use parking mode with the 12v??
"With an always-on outlet, the Dash Cam will stay powered at all times. Since the Dash Cam is unable to enter Parking Mode with the 12V Car Charger"

So the Cellink Nero has a DC Output cable that plugs into its port, then on the other end has a black, red, yellow cable. The U1000 has a cable that plugs into the camera and then comes out with the same red, yellow, black. If I wired those together would it provide the parking mode that I'm trying to get? I did not use these cables because they are like 2x longer than what I need, I guess I could just cut the cable though.

The cloud service only displays a livestream, and high-impact recordings.
While driving, it has to be something like 4g, which would typically also have an airbag deployment.
When parked, the sensitivity is improved, but of course when parked, your vehicle's hotspot is not active, so it is unable to upload (and will not upload retroactively when the connection is restored.
Overall, the cloud usefulness is marginal at best. Blackvue is much more useful, however, that is limited to a single camera per user, and I believe even then the "free" service is limited.
For now, Thinkware has not introduced a subscription model that provides improved functionality of the cloud service.
There has been talk of that, and I wish they would, as I would gladly subscribe to it.

And yes, to get Parking functionality, you need to provide the camera with both constant and switched 12v power. Shutting off switched power tells it to go into whatever Parking mode you have selected.

I use a mobile hotspot in the car (hooked to the cellink battery)
It works, though hardly ever get notifications . and if I do, they are silent and only visible in the app (no pop up)
nice gimmick, but that's about it.

Last edited:
You have to buy the specific parking mode power cable for the cellink with a thinkware output that will put the unit into parking mode once the car is shut off. I use it and it works great.

Back