Spytec Returns Disastrous.

dave419

Reaction score
Country
United States
After a long time of research and reading about what dashcam to buy, and more importantly in the G1W's case, where to buy. I came to the conclusion the camera I wanted to buy was a G1W-C, I also decided would pay a few extra bucks and go with Spytec, as they are the vendor that seemed most reputable. I knew very well that the chances of getting a faulty or defective product with the G1W series was high but at least I thought my chances would be lessened if I go with a reputable seller and that if there was something wrong with the camera I would be able to get it returned reasonably pain free.

So I purchased my very own G1W-C, shipping took a bit longer than I expected but hey the USPS struggle is real. I finally received my camera Sept. 19. Like a kid at Christmas I open that puppy up and mounted it beautifully in my sexy beast of a '94 corolla. Took it for a spin, come back and upload the footage to my computer. To my disappointment there was a horrid rattling sound, the audio was just terrible.( Now I actually had a G1W (battery model) for a week prior to test it all out, never had the audio problems). I did some reading and found out that its the buttons on the camera itself making that noise so I put some scotch tape on the buttons, it made a little bit of a difference, but in all honesty it was still pretty bad making me think it might also be something else.

I then contacted Spytec support to see what they thought about it. I was told that it most definitely should not be doing that and to make an RMA request. Now I really didn't like the idea of being away from my dash cam as now I have become so dependent on it having burrowed a G1W for the weeks prior, I feel naked without one in my car. But I thought I should really make sure I get one that didn't have to be covered in scotch tape, so I sent in a request on the same day my item arrived.(Sept. 19) I then got an email on Sept. 21 saying that
"Hi Dave41999,

Thank you for your email. I apologize that you are having issues with the mount and camera itself. these being hardware ( physical) issue with the accessories and cam. I will have an return authorization number sent to you so we can expedite a replacement.

Thank you for choosing Spy Tec,"

* i fixed the mount issue, that was my misunderstanding

So i then proceeded to wait 2 weeks for this return authorization number. After 2 weeks i finally thought enough was enough and called them. I explained my situation to the representative, and was then put on hold for about 25 minutes total. After all that i was told that they had no idea what was going on and that they would call me back in 45 minutes to 1 hour, by that time they would know what was happening.
Just like the rma number, that call never came. So that was today, it's Friday, i'm pretty sure they are closed Saturday and Sunday, so it looks like i will have to wait until Monday before i can even learn what in the world is happening.

I just ask for a company to have a reasonable return policy with a reasonable turnaround time, it's looking like my return can take over a month until completion from start to finish. Not to mention the hassle I've had to go through figuring this whole mess out. That's just not reasonable, I paid more to go with Spytec for the very reason i thought it wouldn't be as much of a hassle if something did go wrong, and it did, and now I'm stuck. I will update if anything changes or something actually happens.

One of the major reasons I went with Spytec was the reputation it had gotten on this forum and others alike, this is just disappointing.

sometimes things fall through the cracks, @spytec have someone that monitors the forums here, hopefully they'll address this for you and put things right

{Update}

So on Monday I decided to call Spytec again after not hearing from them. I'm greeted by a representative, I tell him my situation, he asks if I can please hold for 3-4 minutes as he figures out the problem, I say not a problem. I then proceed to wait 25 minutes on hold, and then they just hang up. I call then again and get another representative, I tell him the situation, he then gives me the whole wait 3-4 minutes ( biggest lie in the world ), 20 minutes later he gets back to me saying that he talked to the returns department and they will work on getting you an RMA authorization number. I ask if there is any way we can expedite this saying I've now waited going on 3 weeks for this number and this is ridiculous. He says maybe once I ship my item they can do something once they receive a tracking number. I ask to speak with a manager because I've gotten tired of having to call back over and over again and want to figure this out. He says no problem I'll see if one is available. I was put on hold for another 20 minutes, as I'm on hold i get a call from their new york office on the other line, saying the manager will call me back, I tell him I'm i was told told that I'm on hold waiting to speak with the manager, he says I don't know what your on hold for but that's not for the manager. Great. I ask him how long it will be, he says not very long. 2 Hours later. I finally get a call from the manager. She tells me it was an internal problem being the reason i never got my RMA authorization and that they are sorry. I'm told the best they can do for me is ship the product out once i give them a tracking number after i had shipped mine. I ask if they cover the shipping back, I'm told yes, she tells me that they will reimburse me, I ask how much, she has no idea. I ask if they can expedite shipping, she says she does not know and would have to talk to the shipping department. Frustrated after dealing with them for 3 hours now on this day alone. I ask her if she can find out the shipping information, such as how much i will be reimbursed and what kind of expedited shipping they can offer me. She says absolutely, and proceeds to ask me a time in which she can contact me. I ask her her time zone, and figure out that 10am will work, she confirms that she will call me at 10am the following day with the information.

I live in California so i woke up a half hour early than the usual 6:30am in order to get ready for classes before taking the call. She was supposed to call at 7am pacific time or 10am eastern time. Guess who never called.

I'm so far done with this at this point. I have spent well over 4-5 hours either waiting for calls, on hold, or talking to spytec. I think I'll just live with my camera's audio problem because i can't spend another huge deal of time trying to replace it. The RMA authorization number IS STILL YET TO COME IN!!!! This is just a joke. I honestly cant in good conscious waste anymore time with them. There is falling through the cracks, but this is far from that.

I know spytec has a good reputation on this site, which is half the reason i went with them, but i judge a company on how it deals with customer service, and what i have had to deal with is nothing less than a complete joke. Even if i got an RMA authorization number later today, knowing that a good number of G1W's are DOA, I don't know if i want to risk an audio problem with a DOA and have to go through this whole process again. I never thought i would have to choose between a malfunctioning product and chance i will have to return another product.

If anything changes i will update but I'm not calling them back and waiting hours on hold again. It's just not worth it.

Back