Stick with the F770 or go to the F800 Pro?

jamesjay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My F770 as become faulty and I now have a choice of a refund or replacement and was thinking of upgrading to the F800 pro, but what extra will I be getting because from what l have read when in parking mode the F800 won't be connected to the internet anyway, I can't see any reason to upgrade and spend another £60 or £70, what are the pros and cons of these models when compared to each other.

Any advice or feedback would be gratefully accepted.
James.

Last edited:
Better sensor (Sony Stravis in the F800/F800 Pro), 128 Gb support, and better file organization in parking mode.

Better sensor (Sony Stravis in the F800/F800 Pro), 128 Gb support, and better file organization in parking mode.

Thanks for the reply, not sure I need 128 GB as I use the car daily for 2 x 30 minute runs and usually format one of my 2 x 64 cards every 2 days after a quick visual check that the car hasn't been scratched, so don't have that many files in parking mode.

The better sensor would help overnight parking but as I usually park in a well lit area with an allocated parking space I only have trouble seeing number plates of cars when their headlights are pointing directly at the F770 so I am not sure how much improvement I will get from the better sensor.

I am concerned about the fact the last issue of Thinkware firmware was in January 2018 and even on the F800 Pro the last firmware was in October 2018, so it doesn't sound to me like Thinkware is concerned about customers care and will more than likely bring out a new model soon so won't be issuing new firmware for either model, because of this I am not sure if I should go for a replacement/other model or try another make.

It concerns me that if I don't use my car over the weekend or for more than 48 hours the F770 battery limiter will kick in and stop at about 32 hours or so, or that I am going to have to get the CPL filter off the old unit without damage if I want to use it on the new unit or spend another £13.00 plus postage again for a filter that should be builtin, I think the glare from the windscreen is a manufacturing fault as is the fact it is now being replaced or refunded because of a fault that appears to have been caused by heat, if a dashcam is manufactured and built to be stuck to windscreen of a car then it should be manufactured to a standard that allows for heat and not cut out and be damaged internally because of summer conditions.

Thanks again for your reply and sorry for the above ranting but I am annoyed that I need to take the wiring out after only 6 months, the F770 isn't cheap and Thinkware should offer better support and more firmware updates that allows better customisation of the settings.
James.

Back