Sticky pads

Decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would just like to congratulate Vantrue on the effectiveness of the mounting pads. Trying to remove the rear cam today was an absolute torment.

That's why for the last few years the first thing I do with new cameras is to remove the manufacturer supplied double sided tape and replace it with Dual-Lock. Easier to remove when the time comes and allows the camera/mount to be removed/repositioned/replaced without undue hassle.

What is Dual-Lock?

A quick search , a 3M version of Velcro. But far more expensive

do you not find there is an element of movement using the dual lock?

A quick search , a 3M version of Velcro. But far more expensive
It would appear that way on the surface but they are totally different products. Here's a summary of the differences, the most significant as related to dash cams is the dual lock has a much stronger hold. From experience Velcro has more of a tendency for vibration in the video - especially on rough roads. The dual lock is more expensive but it's not the same as Velcro so not really an 'apples to apples' comparison.

Closure Mechanism:
  • Velcro: Uses interlocking hooks and loops. You need to have a corresponding hook and loop piece for them to fasten.
  • 3M Dual Lock: Uses tiny mushroom-shaped plastic heads that snap together. You can use two pieces of the same Dual Lock tape together.
Strength:
  • Velcro: Generally has a weaker hold, especially softer varieties.
  • 3M Dual Lock: Significantly stronger due to the interlocking heads. It can hold up to five times the weight of Velcro.
Repositioning:
  • Velcro: Easier to reposition frequently because the hooks and loops separate easily.
  • 3M Dual Lock: More difficult to reposition because the heads create a stronger bond. It makes a satisfying "snap" when connected.

I've used the 3M Dual Lock product (3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener 250 Black) when attaching a beacon light for nighttime flight or a remote id module to the exterior of one of my drones. It works very well in keeping the item attached to the drone without any movement.

I discovered 3M Dual Lock around 6 years ago for fixing things around the house.
The positive locking mechanism is much more secure than basic Velcro.
I bought a 6 foot roll, and I still have have 2 feet left;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00JHKTDMA
When I filmed my State Inspection I used the dual lock on a Viofo WM1 under my hood in the engine bay.
You can see in the video there is no vibration;

Screenshot 2024-03-26 10.46.02 AM.png

Here's an example from a few years ago when I hit a tire carcass in the road. Even at the point of impact the only movement in the video is from the entire car moving.

Package arrived today and wow, well impressed. Thousands of applications. Thanks for the heads up guys. But now to put them to the test.

Here's an example from a few years ago when I hit a tire carcass in the road. Even at the point of impact the only movement in the video is from the entire car moving.

Is your front mounted also using these fixings?

And how DO they compare? ...
Well, they both work more than adequately to keep cameras (and other stuff) where they're attached.. I haven't done any testing to check sheer strength, load capacity, adhesive bonding, etc. Nothing I've used either for have failed so I'd say either is acceptable.

What is Dual-Lock?

I too often find Dual-Lock tape to be invaluable for many purposes and it has been part of my dash cam arsenal for many years. It it super secure and does not wobble, especially compared to traditional Velcro that does tend to wobble in dash cam use.

We've been talking about 3M Dual Lock Fasteners here on the forum for more than ten years. As far as how strong and stable it is 3M describes it as a product that can "replace screws and rivets" .

My history with the stuff goes back at least 30 years to what I believe was the original version of it, a product called Photo-Lok that was marketed to the professional photography industry. It was sold by a company called Wein Products Inc. that manufactured and marketed unique, original, sometimes game changing accessories and products to the photographic industry and was, still is, based in Los Angeles. They no longer sell photographic products, having transitioned to primarily offering air purifier technology.

The inventor of Photo-Lok Tape and founder of Wein Products was a remarkable engineer named Stan Weinberg. As far as I am aware, the patents for Stan Weinberg's Photo-Lok tape were likely purchased by the 3M Corporation and later developed into the full product line known today as 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fasteners. Back in the day, Photo-Lok began disappearing from store shelves leaving professional photographers scrambling to find it, only to eventually reappear as Dual-Lock.
I have certain items in my studio that I applied Photo-Lok to decades ago that are still in use today!

Plok.jpg

photolock.png

Here's my post from ten years ago where I talk about this story.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-do-i-buy-dual-lock-tape.2490/post-52514

Actually, some may find the whole thread from 11 years ago interesting.

Last edited:
And how DO they compare? ...

3M Dual Lock tape is marketed with different stalk counts per inch and in different patterns. They all work well and each has it's own properties and holding power. I believe some of their 106 Dual Lock products may offer different kinds of adhesives for application to different surfaces. The different types can be mixed and matched depending on your usage scenario, although newer versions have eliminated the need for this in some circumstances.

types.jpg

dual_lock_types.jpg

dual_lock_combinations.jpg

Back