Stuttering Picture using 64gb Transcend SDXC Card

Gabolinche

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 V3, Mobius A-Lens, Powerucc Panorama II (RIP)
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share a recent discovery I made with my Panorama II. Since the first day I've had my Pano, I've always used a 32gb SanDisk Ultra card with no problems at all. I've read that some people had trouble using SanDisk but I've had none. Recently, I decided to upgrade to 64gb, and since all advice here says to not buy SanDisk, I went with a 64gb Transcend card (Samsung is too expensive for me).

So I got the card and right away I popped it in the camera and started with no problems. Next day, I check my videos and notice them stuttering. I went back and found that the videos from the first half of the day were ok but the videos from the second half of the day were all stuttery. I mean stuttering like when your PC can't keep up with the workload and starts freezing the picture at some frame in particular and then refreshes after about a second and then freezes again and so on... I also noticed the screen and buttons in the camera became unresponsive once the stuttering started happening. It's as if the camera's processor was overloaded. Even when taking it off power, instead of gracefully saving the last file it would just keep a frozen image until the capacitor was depleted. Note that this wouldn't happen right away after powering on the camera, sometimes it started 30 seconds after power on or sometimes it would even take hours before happening.

I tried reformatting the card in the camera, but same thing kept happening. I tried reformatting the card with SD formatter in my PC but no luck. I tried different firmware versions of the Panorama II and still got the same behavior. Returned to my old SanDisk 32gb card for a week and it worked great, no stuttering at all. My last resort was to format the Transcend card with FAT32 instead of exFAT and voila! It works now. It's been working well for a week now with no stuttering.

Just thought I'd report this behavior for others that might be experiencing it. Also, my conclusion is that somehow the current firmware is still not supporting exFAT quite correctly yet, but that might be resolved in future firmware updates.

Make a test memory card
program http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html
will post here the result of testing
=============
for example:
Lexar Platinum II SDHC 200x LSD32GBBAS200 Rev B made in Korea

PlatII_32GB_SDHC_200x.1399367927.jpg

kiss_5kb.1400919184.png

Yup, tested the card with crystal disk mark and it's all good... The problem is that exFAT seems to be causing trouble, but not FAT32...

Are you sure you can write all 64Gb of data there? Recently I bought fake Sandisk 64Gb card which can actually fit only 4Gb of data. It is also very slow. Got full refund from seller.

I would recommend this card: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281323231870
I had no chance to test it in Panorama yet, but in our Russian forum some people said that card exactly like yours is slow.
I have tested my card with Crystal disk mark and it seems to be fast enough. Also it is only few bucks more expensive than yours.

Below is the SD format program specified for SD/SDHC/SDXC.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
As mentioned in my original post, I tried formatting the card with SD Formatter and the problem kept happening. SD Formatter formatted the card using exFAT (which is obvious) but formatting the card with FAT32 fixed the problem.

Are you sure you can write all 64Gb of data there? Recently I bought fake Sandisk 64Gb card which can actually fit only 4Gb of data. It is also very slow. Got full refund from seller.
I would recommend this card: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281323231870I had no chance to test it in Panorama yet, but in our Russian forum some people said that card exactly like yours is slow.
I have tested my card with Crystal disk mark and it seems to be fast enough. Also it is only few bucks more expensive than yours.
I tested my card with Crystal Disk Mark and it's actually the fastest card I have (compared to my 32gb SanDisk Ultra and the original 16gb Samsung that came with the camera). It averaged 31 MB/s (slightly faster than the advertised 30 MB/s). It was also able to write and test the full 64gb of data so the card is genuine. For those in the Russian forum you mentioned, just tell them to format the card with FAT32 and all problems disappear. I'm 100% convinced the problem is with the Panorama not fully supporting exFAT just yet.

Hello,

I also have a problem with a Transcend 64 GB SD card - not quite the same problem, but it's the same card so I thought I'd post it here.

I bought the card only last week and my Panorama unit recognised it well enough, and there was no problem with formating either. The footage was saved okay and looked good, so I figured that the SD card is working okay. Then today, after about a week of using the card, I took the card out to check some footages (nothing special, just wanted to see how much space was left et c), and I saw the below when I loaded the Registrator Viewer:

24fz5fk.jpg

When I click any of the entries with the yellow warning sign, I get an error window like below,

t7l8cl.jpg

and the screen just remains blank. It's funny, because the first file and second file with the yellow warning sign on the list was perfectly playable on the day the footage was taken, but now only part of the first file plays and the second file doesn't play at all along with the rest of the files below it. Has anyone experienced an issue like this before? It'd be great if someone could tell me what's going on here. Thanks a lot.

Have you tried formatting the card and running it through h2testw?

Ah, thanks for the tip. I'm running h2testw now and it seems that 7.6 GB is okay and the rest is defective. I'll wait for the test to finish, but it looks like I'll have to contact the ebay seller... I already left a positive feedback for him too, ouch.

That sounds like a fake card to be honest - 8GB of real memory but faked to look like 64GB.

Good luck, but in the past once you've left feedback a lot of sellers don't want to know.

Does this Transcend card have lifetime warranty? My has. Probably, it depends on the card type. I can see at least 5 different 64Gb SD cards on the market. Blue 300x, blue 600x, red one, light brown (60Mb/s write), dark brown (85Mb/s write). Which one do you have?
Also please note that sequential write speed and random write speed differ dramatically. Sometimes write speed is enough for sequental write, but when card is full and some old files deleted, new files will be written randomly. In case of low random speed this may result in broken files. Obviously, this is not your case.

Well, it's looks like this, though it's not the actual listing that I bought:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111147039906
I don't know if the link works, but it's dark blue and up to 25 MBs/write. I think the one I got is a fake card like reverend said - I never even got to fill the card, and after reformatting to FAT32 I tried to transfer ~30 GB of clips to see if I can read it directly off the card, but the transfer stalled after an hour so I had to cancel without finishing the transfer. Then I tried to view the clips that did get saved, but only some of them were viewable and the rest didn't open.

Fake cards usually fit some 4Gb of data.
I just have two fake 64 Sandisk microsd cards. Seller promised me 100eur for feedback revise :)

I just tend to buy my cards from CostCo if I'm in a rush or Amazon as they both have a really good returns policy should anything go wrong!

As mentioned in my original post, I tried formatting the card with SD Formatter and the problem kept happening. SD Formatter formatted the card using exFAT (which is obvious) but formatting the card with FAT32 fixed the problem.

I tested my card with Crystal Disk Mark and it's actually the fastest card I have (compared to my 32gb SanDisk Ultra and the original 16gb Samsung that came with the camera). It averaged 31 MB/s (slightly faster than the advertised 30 MB/s). It was also able to write and test the full 64gb of data so the card is genuine. For those in the Russian forum you mentioned, just tell them to format the card with FAT32 and all problems disappear. I'm 100% convinced the problem is with the Panorama not fully supporting exFAT just yet.

How did you format the card using FAT32? There is no option in that program?

Back