Subjective Comments

Elbeau

Reaction score
Country
United States
I probably should have said this at the beginning of my evaluation of this camera. But, here we are and I'll say it now. I was given this camera and asked to evaluate it. I am doing this from the perspective of a non-technically inclined semi-old geezer, who is interested in sticking this thing on my windshield and hopes I can rely on it to protect me in the event of an accident, or other vehicular damage, while driving or parked. I am not going to do bench tests, or dismantle the thing. I'll leave that to others so inclined who are, no doubt, better equipped for the mission. So, yes, my evaluation is largely, if not entirely, subjective.

I've finally had some time to check out the camera's operation in my car. I have to say, while noting that the only other personal experience I have is with the BlackVue DR770X Box - a camera far more advanced and costly than this S1 Pro, I am impressed with the quality of the video taken and the functionality of the parking mode. I am using the motion detection option in parking mode and it works great. I just would like to be able to select both motion and impact, as opposed to picking one or the other. As I mentioned in other posts, I am not particularly impressed with the size of the main camera/screen, however. The unit is relatively big and bulky and, despite the steep rake of my windshield, the screen is angled slightly upwards. If mounted at the bottom of the windshield that would make sense. However, mounted at the top of the windshield, which is the recommended location, viewing the screen is awkward. It doesn't help that the screen itself is too small to be of any real use. Aside from being both too large and too small, there is one other "feature" that can and should be easily changed. The large warning triangle light blinks while recording. Since the camera is continuously recording while driving, this flashing light is quite distracting and annoying. A recording light should be smaller and dimmer. At least make it on steady when recording. It should flash if something is going wrong, not if the camera is functioning properly.

So, to sum it up, at this point I am impressed by the video quality and the parking mode in motion detection mode. I think the physical design of the camera can use some work. Either redesign the main camera with a larger, horizontally mounted screen, or get rid of the screen altogether and make the whole thing smaller. Make the main unit adjustable (not just the camera lens). And tone down that blinking recording light. Finally, I would say, if you don't intend to rely on the app to use this camera, I would go with something with a more practical screen.

Back