Suggested Dash Cam for hot Country?

cdxp

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I have a decent budget available and am looking for a first good quality dashcam.
I live in Thailand so heat will be a problem and many of the cheap Chinese cams I've looked at rate at a top temperature of 40 C. The outside temp has hit 40 in the past few days so inside the car was probably well above that during the day .Most of the reviews don't cover this issue apart from mentioning it can be a problem.
Any suggestions for good day and night video performance and tolerance for heat? Or a camera that has a simple and reliable detachable mounting to allow it to be removed every time I leave the car.

you definitely want something that uses capacitors rather than a battery, running the cam in those temps is no issue while driving, not something you'd want to do while parked though

40 deg C :) and then thinking about for a little while :eek: cuz speaking from experience those temperatures are no fun working in ( sailing from Saudi arabia to Japan - Indian ocean - Malacca strait and up north passing Vietnam - Phillipines and Taiwan , and then do a 180 in Japan and do the same in reverse again and again )

In the comming days we dive below 2 digit temperatures again :( do hope we will get a fjew weeks of good summer this year ( + 25 deg and sunny )

As jokiin say you want to go for capasitors, but i cant help in regard to mount and easy install / removal cuz i allways leave my cameras in the car.

Almost anything that will use a suction cup mount is fairly easy to remove and replace. I've used a Mobius A, and Mobius C in rental cars in thailand, both with the add on capacitor. They're pretty discrete, small enough if you unscrew them from the mount you can drop it in your pocket.

This is a Mobius 'A'

This is the wider angle 'C' mobius, which is better at night.

Lazada usually has the mobius.

I live in Texas and its so hot.. i'm using viral cams its one of the best cams I have ever had (strong, cheap, and good quality) and it isnt so expensive, I suggest you to buy it or to see the specifications.. in fact it's an ip cam the good thing is that you can manage your camera from your browser, you just need the ip port and the ip address to access to your camera. Here is a link of my camera : http://www.viralcameras.com/-82/posts/12-road-street-tr... they also offer a good support.
How is an IP camera good as a dash cam? :confused:

Do you live in Texas as you posted?... or Australia as in your profile? :confused:

I smell a spammer and will report as such.

do hope we will get a fjew weeks of good summer this year ( + 25 deg and sunny )
My kind of Summer. Unfortunately, they're gone and they're not coming back to Portugal in a foreseable future. :(

Truth is, that there is no camera that could withstand extreme temperatures in the car attached to the windshield. The temperatures can easily reach over 60C/140F at which point no manufacturer will guarantee reliable operation. Be it batteries or capacitors.
The only solution would be either to dismount from the windshield, park in the shade or make some kind of shield that would protect the camera from direct sun.

Truth is, that there is no camera that could withstand extreme temperatures in the car attached to the windshield. The temperatures can easily reach over 60C/140F at which point no manufacturer will guarantee reliable operation. Be it batteries or capacitors.
The only solution would be either to dismount from the windshield, park in the shade or make some kind of shield that would protect the camera from direct sun.
So many things start to "fail" at those temperatures, starting with the plastic parts.

Back