Suggestion/Recommendations?

SweetLogan

Reaction score
**Edit** Thanks for relocating my post to the correct place!

As this is my first post, I wanted to say thanks for the site and having somewhere to ask this.

I'm looking into getting a dashcam, but am overwhelmed with the variety and concerned about seller reputability. Not to mention I tend to be picky and don't have any definitive objective in owning one. Mostly, I'm looking for a nifty new tech toy that might help me down the road. I was in a significant accident in October, luckily, everyone walked away with only minor injury and the other driver was found at fault. However, without witnesses it could have been a he-said/she-said situation. I'll skip the story for your sake. haha.

Currently I'm looking at the F20 (I understand this a processor model too? and have no clue if they are remotely related or coincidence) Dual Camera:
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-recorder ... d_add_1_dp (2 links for the same thing, I'm open to reputable sellers)
http://www.foxoffer.com/720p-dual-camer ... WwdJcqk_RF

I like having the option to use the zoom camera to see plates ahead of you or swivel to see the cabin/rear. Also, it has a battery unlike another model of this one I've seen that includes GPS.
I've seen a few videos from this online, but it is a larger device than I'd like, I don't need a screen and I have concerns over the place to buy to ensure quality. I couldn't find much on this site regarding this camera, besides a passing comment by DashCamMan in Nov. 2012.

My desires/Pros:
-Decent quality. If I can read a license plate a reasonable distance (not just at stop lights), I'm interested.
-Long record times, ideally up to 6 hours (I have just over an hour total commute, per day) though the files can be broken down however.
-Hopefully not breaching $200. I'm willing to pay more ($20 extra or so) for a reputable dealer and/or North American seller. Also I have no issues getting a 32gig card on top of all that.
-I don't know if any can't, but it would need to be able to export or let me pull the files/video to save on my computer.

Cons
-Poor quality, both in build and video output
-Huge device and mounting
-Permanent attachment (I attract rocks like you wouldn't believe)

GPS isn't needed and I might not use it even if I had it. (unless the data could be exported with the video) Also, my accident was at night, so the ability to be used at night is important to me, though I'm not expecting it to rival day quality video. I'm not really set in stone on anything, so all suggestions will be taken gladly.

Thanks for reading my mess of a post and any insight you can provide. I'm not looking to buy today or tomorrow, but I expect it will be within the next 2 or so months. Also, thanks for those that have posted information and video from yours, it is quite helpful.

If I don't reply back quickly, I apologize, but I will respond!

Last edited by a moderator:
SweetLogan said:
-Decent quality. If I can read a license plate a reasonable distance (not just at stop lights), I'm interested.

start looking at 1080p rather than 720p models

jokiin said:
SweetLogan said:

start looking at 1080p rather than 720p models

Do you have any suggestions? From what I've seen those throw me more into the $300 range, which is more than double what my costs would be now. Unless something perfect came along, I don't think I can justify the price jump.

Depends where you want to buy from I guess, if buying at a retail outlet you might spend that much, plenty of 1080p options well below that price if buying online, many mentioned on the pages here

Back