suggestions: night mode, with gps incl. coordinate stamping

adorfer

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I have been using a genuine Ambarella GS1000 for quite a while now, replaced the optics with some bigger 1:1.4 one from Lensation. In plus i run a dual cam one with a Sony WDR (NTSC only) as a rear camera plus a reversal camera pointing downwards.

But as i just accidently killed the Ambarella with a faulty power adaptor shipping 12V to the micro usb. (i identified the transitor died, but i can't get the right replacement due to missing schematics. but that's another story):
so the fact is: I need a new dashcam!

What i am acutally looking for is
- gps track recording (separate files)
- speed (km/h) and position (lat/lon) embossed in the video image
- good night vision

in terms of price and form factor or other features i do not care much.

What are your recommendations?
As far as i can estimate my problem is the lat/lon-display in the video image, which seem to lack most better cameras (blackvue has speed and even supply voltage, but no position...)

Re: suggestions: night mode, with gps incl. coordinate stamp

adorfer said:
I have been using a genuine Ambarella GS1000 for quite a while now, replaced the optics with some bigger 1:1.4 one from Lensation. In plus i run a dual cam one with a Sony WDR (NTSC only) as a rear camera plus a reversal camera pointing downwards.

But as i just accidently killed the Ambarella with a faulty power adaptor shipping 12V to the micro usb. (i identified the transitor died, but i can't get the right replacement due to missing schematics. but that's another story):
so the fact is: I need a new dashcam!

What i am acutally looking for is
- gps track recording (separate files)
- speed (km/h) and position (lat/lon) embossed in the video image
- good night vision

in terms of price and form factor or other features i do not care much.

What are your recommendations?
As far as i can estimate my problem is the lat/lon-display in the video image, which seem to lack most better cameras (blackvue has speed and even supply voltage, but no position...)

Blackvue shows the coordinates when you use the enclosed Viewer software to look at your video They are separate files on the SD card shown as 3gf files in the "Record" folder

i'd like to have it "directly in the video" without postprocessing, so i can hand over "unprocessed files" in case of an event which are "self explaining" without the use of any proprietary tool.
(Currently i am using the registrator viewer, which does fit my need basically, in case i like to edit/crop things)

anyway: it seems to me that embossed lat/lon coordinates only come with GS1000 (and successors).
But those systematically produce poor quality night footage (all i have come across, even those AR0330 samples just look better because they seem to be taken in well lit street of metropole cities.)

Sorry for triggering this post again, but i still hope for a recommendation:

What do you consider as best lowlight capable camera with gps coordinate display (in the video)? Is there some kind of GS1000 successor "with the best chip"?
Is there any modeld claiming WDR?

adorfer said:

What do you consider as best lowlight capable camera with gps coordinate display (in the video)? Is there some kind of GS1000 successor "with the best chip"?

Panorama2 from Powerucc is the only WDR dash cam with Sony Exmor CMOS which has lat / long and speed, + date / time recorded on the screen. It has a good night vision recording.

What kind of external GPS does it use? It looks in the unboxing video like a 2,5mm jack. Is it some kind of standard?
(I have a bit of a difficulty finding a dealer for it. There seems only one at ebay for the moment.)

adorfer said:

the embedded data is very common with Ambarella based solutions, you'll find lost of those coming to market that support WDR and giving you the functionality you want so maybe limited choices right now but it will only increase

adorfer said:
What kind of external GPS does it use? It looks in the unboxing video like a 2,5mm jack. Is it some kind of standard?
(I have a bit of a difficulty finding a dealer for it. There seems only one at ebay for the moment.)

Check my post on Panorama2 topic. I have added RAW video files there to download. I have Panorama2 for over 1.5 month and very happy with built quality and video quality.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1208

Yes, it uses they own developed 2.5mm external gps antenna which locks on satellite almost instantly, - the quickest gps lock i have ever tested. I have tested other dvr brands 2.5 gps antennas but they did not work with it.
Starts recording in about 3 sec after you turn on ignition.
Its pity those videos i have made with very first firmware. Since then they had released 4 firmware uodates. Latest has WDR and 720p 60fps, but i was not had time to upload videos with newest firmware update.

Best way to buy is from that ebay Korean seller. They have a good reputation and quick service.

Last edited by a moderator:

adorfer said:

This seller:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0817325112

niko said:
Check my post on Panorama2 topic. I have added RAW video files there to download. I have Panorama2 for over 1.5 month and very happy with built quality and video quality.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1208

that's probably the first Korean cam I've seen that looks more like a Chinese design, very unusual compared to most Korean cams

do you know what chipset this one uses?

jokiin said:
niko said:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1208

that's probably the first Korean cam I've seen that looks more like a Chinese design, very unusual compared to most Korean cams

jokiin said:
niko said:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1208

Yes, i do know. It uses Coach, but dont remember what class. I took apart it and made internal pictures few weeks ago, but did not had time yet to deal with them. Will try to add more info soon into panorama2 topic.

niko said:
Yes, i do know. It uses Coach, but dont remember what class. I took apart it and made internal pictures few weeks ago, but did not had time yet to deal with them. Will try to add more info soon into panorama2 topic.

Ok, first Korean cam I've seen using this, makes a change from TI which I don't feel is that great, hopefully a change in the right direction if they continue to develop it

jokiin said:
niko said:

Ok, first Korean cam I've seen using this, makes a change from TI which I don't feel is that great, hopefully a change in the right direction if they continue to develop it

They use Coach 12P. I dont know how much back or forward steps they are, for me most important is end result: video quality. Download my RAW files i have added into Panorama2 topic. They are made with very first firmware.

Back