Sun Kink

Bloody hell that was lucky! I'll have to remember to stick to the roads if I'm ever out that way as it would be bound to hit a sun kink just as I'm in the loo!

And our dozy government still believe that wheel on rail is the future of high speed transport!

Reactions: jhm
That is sort of like the asphalt highways that they forget to leave some room for expansion and you get a big lump in the road.
So, that did not derail the engine, but what about the cars following?

Or they don't lay it in 'bays' with expansion joints inbetween - so the road cracks and a huge chasm opens up!

We normally get thru the summer here without that kind, though it have happened, but i thing Danish rail are so worn down it accomodate heat expansion.

BUT now in the fall when leaves fall of the trees, its a suprice to DSB ( Danish rail ) every year, and if DSB had the same service as on the Japanese bullet trains ( a free ticket if delayed more than 2 minutes ) DSB would have closed doores many years ago.

DSB is a prime example of the prevaling incompetence here :(

We also have delays due to "leaves on the line" "the wrong kind of sun", "snow on the line" and a myriad of other dumbass excuses.

I mean, how the heck do these morons think rail companies cope in countries where they get 2 metres of snow on the line every few days? (or the same depth of leaves?)

When "ribbon" or welded rail is laid, it is heated to high temperature with fire to accommodate expansion, then bolted, but when there is several days of extreme heat this is what can happen. Track patrols are usual run to look out for signs of kinks, but it is not 100%. Even the vibration of the patrol vehicle can cause a kink after they pass. I was along side a long freight train on a very hot day in upstate New York and half the train had gone by when a kink occured underneath. Needless to say, there was quit a pile up after that.
From my understanding, the train in the video made it over and it came safely to a stop.

DSB ordered new intercity trains at a Italian firm called Ansaldobreda, and acording to the contract they where supposed to be driving on Danish Rails from 2006.
The 82 and last set of trains where delivered in 2012, and from november 2011 to july 2012 the entire fleet was taken offline due to brake faliures ( just 1 of nothing but problems with these trains )
To this day its debated if these trains will ever enter normal use and be worth just a little of the 5.3 billion ( + additional 1.1 billion ) they so far have cost us.

The trains where ordered as a plan of a DSB initiative called GTA ( Gode Tog til Alle / good trains for all ) from 1998, and the order was put out in 2000 for builders to bid on.

The IC4 trains as they normally are used.
4684955-dsb-afviser-hasard-med-sikkerheden-i-ic.jpg

BTW its the same company witch will make the driveless trains for the Metro in Copenhagen, that is when its done and at what overprize as all publich Danish build projekts dictate.
The Italians are to operate the Metro the first 5 years :D
They are not done digging yet and allready the projekt is 1 billion over budget o_O and delayed ( offcourse )

PS. A DSB trian is only delayed if its more than 6 minutes behind time, and the average delay is 5 minutes, but thats the average on all trains in Denmark over a year.
Often ppl will wait for hours and finally have to go on in a bus to ther destination.

And as usioal nobody is to blame,

PPS. one of the IC4 trains where given to gadaffi in Libya by the italians, most likely as greasing of the wheels for a contract there later on. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back