Supercaps and Datestamps

Michael Campbell

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm reading the supercaps can only keep the internal clock running for a couple days. True?

If it runs out, can one reset time/date with the msetup.exe gui tool? I couldn't see how.

Yes and yes If you have then charged the caps. The Mobius syncs with the time on your computer automatically when you select sync date time.

Last edited:
I'm reading the supercaps can only keep the internal clock running for a couple days. True?

The longest my car's been parked is 5 days so far, & the date / time was retained. Should be good for nearer 10 days.

Yes and yes If you have then charged the caps. The Mobius syncs with the time on your computer automatically when you select sync date time.

Ah, great; I didn't see the "Sync" option in the setup tool before. Thanks!

bump from the dead...

having an "issue" with my mobius and the date stamp. i have it selected to sync with my computer in the GUI, but my mobius videos are still stamped with 2012 in january

any ideas?

The capacitors are running out of power. After you sync the Mobius with the computer (don't unplug it) make sure it is off (no red/yellow/blue LED shown) and then leave it connected for about a minute.
I take it you are aware that you must always use a reliable and stable 5V power supply if you have the capacitors installed. Never turn on the camera without external power connected. Make sure the Power-Off disconnect parameter is set to Immediate.
The capacitors can only supply the necessary voltage for a few seconds and will drain after about 10 days if the Mobius is turned off and not connected to external power.

the weird thing is about this issue is that it keeps track of the date and time in the videos... like i saved a clip a couple of weeks ago and it showed the date of january 10th. and now when i looked at a clip from monday, its showing the 21st of january, so its showing in advance in dates

its like i have the setting set to NO for the sync date and time, but i have it set to yes in the gui

the weird thing is about this issue is that it keeps track of the date and time in the videos... like i saved a clip a couple of weeks ago and it showed the date of january 10th. and now when i looked at a clip from monday, its showing the 21st of january, so its showing in advance in dates

its like i have the setting set to NO for the sync date and time, but i have it set to yes in the gui
Are you saying that the time stamp on the actual recorded video is different than the file's date and time? I've never heard of that and would think it's not possible. Try taking a fresh video and then connecting to a different PC. Maybe your PC has a file-stamp virus?

if you set the date wrong it would still advance I'm sure, sounds like your Jan 10th clip and your Jan 21st clip were filmed 11 days apart

i just took a fresh video from the camera the other day after i updated the firmware to 2.18, but it was also happening prior to the firmware update.

avg is saying im clean, but i know things can be still hidden...

when i had the cam plugged into my laptop, and i had the gui up, the sync was selected to yes, i tried to move it to no, but the next time i plugged the camera in, it move the sync back to yes.... kinda weird

---

edit to respond to the new post, yes they were 11 days apart. but its just odd how the mobius wont sync

i just took a fresh video from the camera the other day after i updated the firmware to 2.18, but it was also happening prior to the firmware update.

avg is saying im clean, but i know things can be still hidden...

when i had the cam plugged into my laptop, and i had the gui up, the sync was selected to yes, i tried to move it to no, but the next time i plugged the camera in, it move the sync back to yes.... kinda weird

---

edit to respond to the new post, yes they were 11 days apart. but its just odd how the mobius wont sync
The GUI time sync parameter will always revert to sync when you launch the GUI. It is not a parameter which is stored anywhere. Most people keep it checked.
Have you tried an immediate test? Sync the date and time, disconnect the camera, connect the camera to external power and take a short video, turn off the camera, disconnect the camera, check the date and time of the clip.
If the date and time is correct then thy sync works fine but for some reason your supercap is losing it's power when the camera is turned off. Are you sure your external power isn't shorting when off?

If the date and time is correct then thy sync works fine but for some reason your supercap is losing it's power when the camera is turned off. Are you sure your external power isn't shorting when off?

and obviously don't press the power button when no external power source is available also or it will just drain the caps

i dont believe ive ever pressed any buttons ever on my mobius, ive only done things through the gui.

i was doing some tweaks to my services on windows, and i noticed i had previously set the windows time sync to manual, where the computer sync's its time with some master clock that microsoft has setup. i believe normally its set to automatic, would this have an affect on the issue?

ill try the quick test today.

I've had the time stamp problem too. Happened after FW 2.10 and 2.18 were installed. I've went back to 1.20 and it has cured it.
sometimes reverted to 1st Jan 2012. It isn't a virus in PC. Must be FW glitch.

I've had the time stamp problem too. Happened after FW 2.10 and 2.18 were installed. I've went back to 1.20 and it has cured it.
sometimes reverted to 1st Jan 2012. It isn't a virus in PC. Must be FW glitch.
The date and time will not be affected when you upgrade/downgrade the firmware. The RTC (Real Time Clock) is firmware independent and can only be set by the GUI or the SYSCFG.TXT. The GUI uses the computer's RTC to set the camera's RTC accurately while if you use the manual SYSCFG.TXT method you can set the camera's RTC to any value you want so long the year is greater than 2011. The camera's RTC will be reset if battery power is lost.
I very much doubt there's a FW glitch because all cameras would be affected, but who knows? If you use the GUI, a USB communication glitch would be more logical since the GUI has no way to confirm if the RTC values were correctly set. It would be interesting to try the SYSCFG.TXT method for updating the camera's RTC in case you have the same problem in the future.
Rather technical, sorry
:)

well i never go around to doing the testing.. but i pulled a clip off the camera today and it has the correct date and time. i love it when bugs fix themselves

Back