Switching Lens

liveinxs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius ActionCam, Front, Rear and both Sides
Was wondering, what the success rate was in switching out the lens , be it Wide to Standard or the other way around...

I have been thinking of trying out the Standard lens in my front cam, but don't think its nessasary to buy a whole new cam, much cheaper to just buy the Standard replacement unit, about 30.00us.

I am familiar with the procedure, just want to know, if anyone encountered any issues with image or cam.

I've swapped lenses on a few cameras now, it's an easy process on the Mobius so as long as you don't accidentally break anything you'll be ok :)

I got an alternative lens from JooVuu as they're in the UK - I guess in the US maybe something like buymobius.com would be easiest?

Thanks for the response.

The ribbon cables on the lens modules are known to be easily broken if your not careful. Other than that it's easy. While your at, you could always extend the lens.

That's why I'm thinking just leave the sensor in situ and just swap the lens over - no chance of ribbon cable damage that way although you just have to be happy doing the focus each time? Swings and roundabouts on that one.

That's why I'm thinking just leave the sensor in situ and just swap the lens over - no chance of ribbon cable damage that way although you just have to be happy doing the focus each time? Swings and roundabouts on that one.
I looked at that option, only switching the lens itself, but it still requires the lens module to be removed from the case, as the standard lens is installed within the case, does not protrude like the wide angle lens.

Yeah sorry you're right - I'm that used to the wide lens I've never taken much notice of the standard but I see what you mean in that you've got to pop the module and ribbon out anyway. That explains why it looks different at the front as the lens is totally hidden

Seeing as you have to take the module out anyway to swap the lens it's probably easier to buy it with the sensor as well so you can just swap them over quicker without worrying about setting the focus.

I've got to admit when I faced this same decision I just bit the bullet and bought a whole other Mobius from eletoponline365 as I got a free TV out cable too (it seemed a bargain at the time!)

Yeah sorry you're right - I'm that used to the wide lens I've never taken much notice of the standard but I see what you mean in that you've got to pop the module and ribbon out anyway. That explains why it looks different at the front as the lens is totally hidden

Seeing as you have to take the module out anyway to swap the lens it's probably easier to buy it with the sensor as well so you can just swap them over quicker without worrying about setting the focus.

I've got to admit when I faced this same decision I just bit the bullet and bought a whole other Mobius from eletoponline365 as I got a free TV out cable too (it seemed a bargain at the time!)
I really thought about just buying another standard lens mobius, but then i will have 5 Mobius cams, and i can't have a 5 cam setup in my truck, so i would have to buy another mobius, and have a 6 cam setup, which would be a bit overkill, lol....

4 cams seems to cover nearly a 360 degree view..

The ribbon cables on the lens modules are known to be easily broken if your not careful. Other than that it's easy. While your at, you could always extend the lens.

I broke one of my cables...ick.

to OP, once you have an extension, swapping the lens is easy. just make sure the setup is good so the cable does not rip

Well i received the standard lens today, and within two minutes, the deed was done, it was incredibly easy, was a bit worried about the lens ribbon, but no big deal.

I immediately tested the lens and was happy to see all was good.

Thanks for the helping input..

Back