Terrible video quality

bhamguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
B40/A118C/0805/CF-100/DrivePro 200/Dome D201
Anyone have any tips around the settings that will give the best video quality? I have tried all the different resolutions available along with HDR on/off and the quality is not good! Just walked outside and did a test of each setting and compared to my 1yr old Mobius cam the video looks like garbage.
Thanks,
Seve

Not sure how to answer your question, not that technical. That said the video bitrate(s) I assume are whatever is set for each video resolution in the TCL v.0.4.7 firmware that is running on the cam.

Here you go. Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 10.31.52 PM.png

ok, you might want to look at updating the firmware, there are some higher bitrate versions that do better

assuming of course your lens focus is good it will just be a firmware thing, the low bitrate versions of these aren't that great

If you can upload some raw / original footage to mega.co.nz or dropbox and share with us, so we can inspect it.

What do you reckon is the cause of the jerky video I'm getting with my cam. It's set at 1080 30fps, 3m recording on a 32GB memory card. TCL FirmWare 3.9

Last edited:
What is the speed of the memory card? Have you tried a different firmware version (CamBox?)

It's a Samsung Class 10 which was transferred from a previous G-1WC dash cam running the same resolution/frame rate without issues. I have seen some firmware being discussed on this forum, one from foxoffer. Where can I find cambox fw?. Mine's the bare bones 300 model without any suffix. would they be compatible?

That sort of video effect is usually the card not being able to keep up with the video rate - just as a test it might be worth formatting the card fresh and then running h2testw on there to see what sorts of write speeds you get.

If that only happens when the card is looping then it's because the random IO to the card is too slow - if it happens all the time there's some sort of compatibility issue. Class 10 cards should be able to sequentially write at least 10MB/sec which should cover dashcams running up to 80Mbps.

I had the unit reset to default and after navigating my way out of the chinese texts, seems my unit now works normally. Go figure

Back