Testing A810

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
This no longer brand new system do pack a punch, though i must of course also say that it is my first time with the 4K IMX678 sensor, so i am probably a bit easy impressed here.
The system like other 70mai dashcams have a not super impressive rear camera ( not bad ) but on the BIG + side you can pair it with the new accessory RC14 rear camera, which is the 1080p resolution starvis 2 sensor.
I am not privy to the price of this starvis 2 rear camera, so hard to say if it is a worth while investment to make.

The footage seem very nice, but i am not able to compare it to something similar in another brand as i simply do not have that, but i think it look damn fine.

I have not yet had the footage under the " microscope " so things like double exposures or missing frames might be hiding in there, but whipping up the below video i did not notice anything, but that could be luck CUZ if / when cameras do have these things its not like it is every 10 frames, so you have to " 1 frame " back and forth in footage to really tell.

Also this driving footage are not the best, i prefer to park 90 degree to a road with traffic on it, that way going over footage missing or double frames are more easy to see.

The first memory card in the A810 is the 256Gb PNY PRO Elite

Last edited:
Great example video.
Licence plate capture is surprising clear and the white line is sharp at 80kph.
If it has HDR was it on?

Video looks good. Is it H264 or H265?

Too bad it's a battery cam versus capacitor (at least according the the product specs).

Yes HDR are on here. H.265

Just compiled the footage of the same from the rear camera perspective, that do not look good, with 0 captured plates.
Which i know can also be done with a 1080p camera, so i dont really get that, but i think even these conditions it should have been possible.

I will pull the exactly same footage from the A510 system which have the 1080p starvis 2 rear camera installed, but i will not be able to work that before i come home from the range on Sunday.

The video are upscaled to 4K too, same level of zoom also used as on the front camera footage.

The rear camera are possible bitrate starved, the 3 minute video are just 190 MB and just 8 Mbit
The front camera are 740 MB for 3 minutes and 31 Mbit

I think others go way past that, though not sure if we talk H.265 or H.264, i personally only use H.265 if i can, and i am looking forward to gaining AV1 support in editing software so i can use the hardware encoder on my GFX card.

Yes there is a H.264 option too

ALSO the footage are just 25 fps

The rear camera are possible bitrate starved, the 3 minute video are just 190 MB and just 8 Mbit
The front camera are 840 MB for 3 minutes and 31 Mbit

I think others go way past that, though not sure if we talk H.265 or H.264, i personally only use H.265 if i can, and i am looking forward to gaining AV1 support in editing software so i can use the hardware encoder on my GFX card.

Yes there is a H.264 option too
I find it Interesting that HDR is enabled on the front camera and the number plates are so sharp.

The rear camera image is pretty average and seems to have double frame capture and also a little over sharpened (see shadows under cars following)

I think the cloud cover is also helping the exposure levels giving it ideal lighting conditions.

It is a bit funny how the A810 ans A 510 are.
In the A 810 there is a HDR setting you can en / disable
In the A510 there is no such thing but under resolutions you can choose some that have HDR on.

To me that is a bit confusing having 2 different paradigmes

Now of course most will probably not run 2 models side by side and notice such things, but someone upgrading from one model to a new might be a bit confused of a new way to do a mundane thing.

It is a bit funny how the A810 ans A 510 are.
In the A 810 there is a HDR setting you can en / disable
In the A510 there is no such thing but under resolutions you can choose some that have HDR on.

To me that is a bit confusing having 2 different paradigmes

Now of course most will probably not run 2 models side by side and notice such things, but someone upgrading from one model to a new might be a bit confused of a new way to do a mundane thing.
Yeah I saw that the A510 has HDR on only and a 60fps resolution with no HDR: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...r-2-7k-front-and-1080p-rear.51398/post-621697

Interesting choices, I didn't test 1080p 60fps because I thought the decreased resolution would not be worth it. Sure they have some reasoning to go along with it ....

Back