The frame by frame comparison of VIOFO A139 PRO, A129 PRO, A119 MINI, A139 RPO(IMX515).

csr456

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, a few months ago, I have done a dashcam comparison between VIOFO A129 PRO and VIOFO A119MINI and the original cam integrated in my BYD car.
For video details please check the link :
It is a chinese video , but won't bother the understandings.

All recordings were shown in slow motion frame by frame. The cam integrated in my car has the worst image quality, which is one of the reasons that I decided to add one more cam.
In the video, VIOFO A129 PRO shows the best day vision when light is ideal due to its 4K resolution. However, when it comes to nights, reading plates is an issue when plate are reflecting light or the speed is over a certain quantity. The VIOFO A119 MINI acts very well at night. I personally recommend using 60FPS rather than 30FPS HDR. From my opinion, the A119 MINI should be the best night vision dashcam in the world at the time, although some other dashcams use the same sensor (IMX 335).

In the end of the video, I was wondering that was there any dashcam which combines both advantages of A129 PRO and A119 MINI. Featuring 4K resolution as good as A129 PRO in day light, and works fine like A119 MINI at night time. Now, the VIOFO A139 PRO has come.

For most of you may have known already that VIOFO A139 PRO utilizes a SONY IMX678 sensor (now selling on viofo.com), but very few know that it actually has another model using SONY IMX515 sensor which has not yet been sold on market, still under development. I also made an video comparing all these dashcams: A129 PRO, A119 MINI, A139 RPO(IMX678), A139 PRO(IMX515).

The comparing video was uploaded with 4K resolution here in slow motion frame by frame.
https://www.ixigua.com/7170617674216112654?logTag=77cc66164371bbf47fa7

Conclusion:
The SONY Starvis 2 does meet my expectation, working fine at day time and has the best result at night . I'll definitely recommend it. The only consideration is the price. My personal suggestion is that if you are driving on budget, A129 PRO & A119 MINI should be better choice depending on whether you drive more on day time or night time.

After the video, some of you may wonder why there is a fan next to A129 pro. Well, that is a cooling fan to solve the over heating issue, controlling by a temperature switch and ACC status. For video:

Power consumption tests :
As I'm driving an electric vehicle , I'm not too worry about power consumption, but doing a test is necessary I suppose.
TBC.

Memory card supportability:
TBC

Last edited:
How do you determine if your A139 Pro has the IMX678 or IMX515 sensor? Why is Viofo selling both with the same labeling, when one is inferior?

How do you determine if your A139 Pro has the IMX678 or IMX515 sensor? Why is Viofo selling both with the same labeling, when one is inferior?
IMX515 version is not on market, it is still under internal development, I am a semi-official tester

The one with IMX515 is not being sold. It probably was sent from the vendor for testing only. I guess it will be launched later as A139 plus.

If you have bought it then it will have an IMX678. The IMX515 version was developed and tested before any Starvis-2 sensors were available, and then the sensor was upgraded to the IMX678 as soon as Starvis-2 was available, and it is now available in the stores. Maybe an IMX515 version will be available sometime, but for now they are all IMX678.

The one with IMX515 is not being sold. It probably was sent from the vendor for testing only. I guess it will be launched later as A139 plus.
There will be no Viofo with IMX515. IMX515 is just wasting time and money on a dead horse when Starvis 2 is available now.

I had a very early test version of the A139 Pro Duo with the IMX515 image sensor. I was testing it for a couple of weeks when VIOFO told me not to spend too much time on it because of the upcoming enhanced (IMX678) version. The A139 Pro front camera with the IMX515 sensor that I had also had technical problems (front image sensor would scramble the image and then freeze the image after being powered up for a few minutes). The A139 Pro Duo is now back in its box on the shelf.

I did notice there was a bigger 4K starvis 2 sensor with even larger pixels, 3 micron VS the 2 micron in the IMX678 but i dont think it was called IMX515

The IMX 515 i assume are a pimped version of the popular IMX 415 used in so many 4K dashcams.

I did notice there was a bigger 4K starvis 2 sensor with even larger pixels, 3 micron VS the 2 micron in the IMX678 but i dont think it was called IMX515

The IMX 515 i assume are a pimped version of the popular IMX 415 used in so many 4K dashcams.
I tested both IMX515 and IMX678

I personally recommend using 60FPS rather than 30FPS HDR
Your video with frame by frame comparison is showing us that 60FPS have no advantage over 30FPS.

Your video with frame by frame comparison is showing us that 60FPS have no advantage over 30FPS.
Ouch!
Be careful Mtz.
CSR is going to need ointment after that burn. lol

Back