Third time's the charm?

geneg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two dash cams currently (an 805 and a G1wc) and need a third for a newer car. I have pretty basic needs: it works and it's cheap and it's small/subtle. I don't need gps, lane departure, etc etc. I need a screen just because I like to reassure myself that the view field is appropriate. Both of my others are hard wired in to the fusebox, so that is also a plus. I don't like the g1wc as much because it is too big/visible. I like the 805 ok. My max is maybe $100-150 total (with hardwiring kit).

I live in a large city on the mid Atlantic coast, so all season weather. Don't need the camera to be on when the car is off. Just a run of the mill dash cam.

What say you, oh great gurus of DCT?

What don't you like about the 805 that makes it so you think you want to go with something else?

... need a third for a newer car. I have pretty basic needs: it works and it's cheap and it's small/subtle. I don't need gps, lane departure, etc etc. I need a screen just because I like to reassure myself that the view field is appropriate ... max is maybe $100-150 total (with hardwiring kit).
A118C ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00SK8B47W

I have nothing against the 805. But it's been a year since I bought it and this industry changes fast. I'm not sure what it out there now.

FYI, the original two I purchased were direct from china from recommended sellers here. A year ago, buying off amazon was quite risky with lots of knock offs and poor quality. I don't mind a longer ship time.

i'll second the a118c. similar guts to the g1w, stealthy compact design, capacitor. uses 64gb cards without complaining (format in the camera). and 64gb cards have recently got CHEAP on amazon - like $21-22! just be sure to get one fulfilled by amazon so it's more likely to be the real deal and not a fake.

i'm considering buying a 128gb because they came down in price too - $40-50. if i can't use it in a dashcam, i bet i can find another use for it somewhere... :D

Last edited:
I have nothing against the 805. But it's been a year since I bought it and this industry changes fast. I'm not sure what it out there now.

FYI, the original two I purchased were direct from china from recommended sellers here. A year ago, buying off amazon was quite risky with lots of knock offs and poor quality. I don't mind a longer ship time.

I gotcha, so just seeing what else is out there. You can't get much better than $22.

I gotcha, so just seeing what else is out there. You can't get much better than $22.
I'm guessing you mean $22 for an sd card. A $22 dashcam is a purchase you'll regret unless you're buying it for someone you don't like. :p

Oh and I forgot to mention, the amazon link above is from a recommended seller here, @spytec. They're who I got my original a118 (non capacitor) from over a year ago.

Is the a118c that much better now than the 805? I saw many reviews complaining about the former's night recording abilities.

That's your call, not ours. :D

Just make sure you buy from a seller that says fulfilled by amazon (assuming you use amazon) so you get it this year, so that if it's defective, amazon returns are easy.

Who is a good amazon seller of the mini 805?

Two cameras that have better night video are usually on sale via China, and work well overall.
The Papago GS110, and the Ausdom A261.

Back