Time for a new video editor ?

Have any of the video editors you've tried have image stabilization?
Stabilisation on dashcam video normally looks horrible, especially when done by a video editor!

If you have an off road vehicle then I recommend using an action camera with stabilisation built in, Gitup G3 or Gitup F1 are good choices, both have stabilisation for 1080 video, both have dashcam functionality, the F1 makes a better dashcam and the G3 a better action camera.

The only video editor I've seen do a decent job of stabilisation is ffmpeg, but even that is not recommended for dashcam video, the worst I've seen is probably YouTube, although it might have improved a bit since last time I tried.

Pinnacle studio 22 ultimate have build in stabilization and dewarp features, the previous version also had this. ( i think this are pretty common by now in higher end editing software )
But really it would make more sense to do it in the camera when it is being recorded, but not all action cameras have build in dashcam mode, or should be used as dashcams in daily use.
The new Osmo action from dji that have awesome image stabilization with its rocksteady, well it don't have dashcam mode, so starting and stopping recordings you would have to do manual.

Last edited:
I've got an old SJcam around here somewhere and with getting the mountain bike, I wanted something to take with me.. Eventually I'll invest in a good action cam, but for now, I can't afford it.. My well pump went up over the weekend, and that put a serious hurt on me...

I guess I just need to figure find the right free software for now...

@crabu2
One word- Grundfoss. They're expensive but are one of the very few good well pumps still being made; most of what else you can get now will not last even 10 years.

Phil

I've heard great things about Da Vinci Resolve. Even about the free version. I'm gonna give it a try because if I have to switch to Win 10 due to the end of Win 7 support in January 2020, I can't use Movie Maker anymore (it doesn't work on Win 10).

For simple edit:
Triming, rotating, etc. Can try this free Avidemux.

Back