Time off by an hour

dandelos

Reaction score
Country
United States
The time that the 650 is keeping is 1 hour behind what it should be. I have the right timezone (Los Angeles, PST) specified in my settings and have tried the 'time sync' option in the app (whatever that does) so the only thing I can think of is that the 650 can't take into account Daylight Savings Time (we had sprung our clocks ahead 1 hour a couple of weeks ago). Any fix/workaround for this, besides changing my timezone to an area that is 1 hour ahead of L.A.?

you need to set the timezone forward an hour, time is only sent as UTC or GMT 0, the offset is handled by the camera so you need to manually do this twice a year, the GPS will sync the time based on UTC then whatever you adjust the timezone to is how it determines what you will see

you need to set the timezone forward an hour, time is only sent as UTC or GMT 0, the offset is handled by the camera so you need to manually do this twice a year, the GPS will sync the time based on UTC then whatever you adjust the timezone to is how it determines what you will see

Thanks, I've gone ahead and set the time zone to Denver Mountain time, which is 1 hour ahead of Pacific time.

Yes, the cameras do not adjust for Daylight Savings, so we need to alter the timezone twice a year manually. I've picked AMT for spring/summer and EST for fall/winter where I live.

I've got the same problem. I'll have to see if there's a New Zealand option to get +1hr ahead of Sydney...

I've got the same problem. I'll have to see if there's a New Zealand option to get +1hr ahead of Sydney...

This may be worth a try to tell the camera to reset the time according to its GPS connection, which should take into consideration Daylight Savings.

1. Power on the camera
2. Wait until the camera has successfully connected to GPS /ie. after 5-10 mins of driving.
3. Hold down the WiFi button for ~10-12 seconds and wait to hear the beep sound
4. The camera will carry out a format and check the time
5. This should correct the time to the current Sydney time

But if the following does not work; selecting a timezone +1 hr ahead is recommended.

I'll give that a try - the NZ time setting didn't work; it became +2hrs instead of -1hr (which suggests it may have done the "GPS calibration" during my attempts to set the time correctly - although I might be getting confused with my Lukas 9350 which is also incorrect time and it said it had to format the SD card when I changed time settings)...

makes sense considering NZ is two hours ahead of the east coast, can't really pick a location one hour ahead when there isn't one

makes sense considering NZ is two hours ahead of the east coast, can't really pick a location one hour ahead when there isn't one
There has to be a city someplace in the world that would have the correct time. I don't know why Blackvue has such a warped process to pick a time. One would think.. as it is GPS enabled it would know where it is and be able to set its own time. Even having the 24 standard time zones instead of a list of cities would be an improvement. Perhaps the programmers wanted to impress with his / her knowledge of geography and all the cities he / she knows :)

the GPS information is only supplied as GMT 0, any offset is set by the camera, there are more than 24 timezones, there are some half and quarter hour offsets also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UTC_time_offsets

it is possible to have the timezone automatically configured, I had this in our first Ambarella camera but this requires a database table of all the lat/long offsets for all locations and is a huge amount of work, it still doesn't do DST offset, that could be done but is really hard to justify the effort that would be required, in the end the simplest solutions are sometimes the best

the GPS information is only supplied as GMT 0, any offset is set by the camera, there are more than 24 timezones, there are some half and quarter hour offsets also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UTC_time_offsets

it is possible to have the timezone automatically configured, I had this in our first Ambarella camera but this requires a database table of all the lat/long offsets for all locations and is a huge amount of work, it still doesn't do DST offset, that could be done but is really hard to justify the effort that would be required, in the end the simplest solutions are sometimes the best

Thank you for that explanation.

Thank you for a detailed explanation. Now perhaps they could include in the manual (or here) 24 cities, with a number appended to each name 0 thru 23 for each time zone

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
matt kime DR650GW (1CH or 2CH) 3
Back