Took a hit this morning.....

2000rpm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Many, including JooVuu, Mobius, Street Guardian.
I was reversed into in a car park this morning.
Footage clipped from a file from my SGZC12RC-V2.

-

Bummer. Did he at least voluntarily leave his contact information?... or did you have to resort to the camera footage?

Bummer. Did he at least voluntarily leave his contact information?... or did you have to resort to the camera footage?

It all seemed very amicable, although very early on I pointed to the cam in the car in the hope that he wouldn't make life difficult.
Many people might try to claim that I drove into the back of them. This cam has paid for itself many times over already and I've only had it since Christmas.
Thanks @jokiin, thanks @niko :)

Didnt look like there was any damages to his car.

Didnt look like there was any damages to his car.

Mine, being a modern car, has a lot of semi-flexible plastics on the front which serve to absorb an impact (especially pedestrians) and flex a bit if I gently bump something. Those plastic sections are distorted or split and were pushed back into the radiator, and at least one of the headlamps is cracked and knocked out of alignment.
Being in the car park of a car dealership (ironically the one which often services our cars), a couple of their mechanics took it in and put it on a ramp to have a look.
They don't think the chassis or engine is damaged (airbags didn't deploy) just the front panels, headlamps (maybe radiator), although the service manager reckons it could cost the other driver's insurance around £2000.
The car is booked in for full damage assessment this afternoon.

I did the same at a drive thru a fjew days after i got my brand new Suzuki grand viatra in 2006 :) thankfully i had a trailer hitch that was taken off so it was only plastic on plastic, and nothing broke, but man did i feel stupid not least since my car was so new i hadent even gotten the insurance papers on it yet.

Funny thing is i love reversing, and it have allways been while doing that i have made dents in my car :rolleyes: so i might not fear reversing but clearly there is still room for improvement.

In all fairness i have only made this mistakes 2 times in the 30 years i have been driving, and i never dented any other cars :D i just "dented" a heavy duty steel gate at a garage with my volvo 121 allmost tearing off the front R wing of the car, and with my Mitsubishi L200 i reversed into a small tree that made a allmighty dent in the tin foil that is the rear hatch on one of those.

It all seemed very amicable, although very early on I pointed to the cam in the car in the hope that he wouldn't make life difficult.
Many people might try to claim that I drove into the back of them. This cam has paid for itself many times over already and I've only had it since Christmas.
Thanks @jokiin, thanks @niko :)
Nooooo, big mistake. This guy could've turned psycho & you could've ended up losing your cam & maybe a few teeth.
I always tend to have a look & say "oh well, it'll be reet" (Good old Yorkshire saying), following up with "Our insurance will sort it all out", a quick exchange of details & take plenty of photographs.
Good to always keep the cam running if possible to record any incriminating conversations (such as "I don't have to give you my details" or "my name is Jock Mctavish & I live in the outer hebrides but I'm only here for the day".

Nooooo, big mistake. This guy could've turned psycho & you could've ended up losing your cam & maybe a few teeth.
I always tend to have a look & say "oh well, it'll be reet" (Good old Yorkshire saying), following up with "Our insurance will sort it all out", a quick exchange of details & take plenty of photographs.
Good to always keep the cam running if possible to record any incriminating conversations (such as "I don't have to give you my details" or "my name is Jock Mctavish & I live in the outer hebrides but I'm only here for the day".
Cameras make people go psycho.

Cameras make people go psycho.
Most can keep it together (especially if you stay calm) in the belief that they can lie their way out of a big insurance claim - especially if they can show zero marks on their car or come up with some plausible BS

what was it we were saying about CRV drivers in a couple other threads?

also, that little panel on the left side of the door looks funny to me, since that's where the license plate goes on a USDM CRV.

the look on his face when he got out though... who hasn't been there himself? the resigned look and hand on top of the head, where you know he's thinking something like "ahhhhhhh crap. that's not gonna be cheap."

I just realised the song playing was Brian Adams' Run (in)to You. :rolleyes:

sounded like metal on metal there error... and apparently the sonar system didn't work very well, as it didn't beep till you were probably only an inch or so away.

sounded like metal on metal there error... and apparently the sonar system didn't work very well, as it didn't beep till you were probably only an inch or so away.

Quite right. I had been washing my Chrysler Voyager (minivan to you) using a high pressure jet wash. The water must have got in to the detectors 'cos usually the reversing sensors work very well. I was reversing my Chrysler off the driveway with the intention of giving my BMW a good cleaning. :(

Chrysler Voyager (minivan to you)
We have them here too, though with different names. Here we have the Dodge Caravan, Chrysler Town & Country and Plymouth Voyager (and grand voyager - the extended length one). All basically the same van, just with badge/trim/feature differences.

now that i think back to when i was installing those sonar sensors at toyota, i remember reading something about how dirt/mud/rain/bird droppings/etc could adversely affect sonar-type distance systems because the water or thick layer of dirt absorbs the vibrations rather than letting the sensors "hear" its echoes. course backup cams aren't perfect either - the factory one in our toyota highlander is basically useless in the rain as water collects on the downward-facing lens, so all you see is a big blur.

CR-V driver strikes again

... i remember reading something about how dirt/mud/rain/bird droppings/etc could adversely affect sonar-type distance systems because the water or thick layer of dirt absorbs the vibrations rather than letting the sensors "hear" its echoes....
Whatever the cause it's true. I have them on my vehicle and notice their reduced effectiveness in the winter with the salt and crud build up.

That running the hand through the hair gesture said it all.
He seemed to be reversing way too fast for the cramped conditions. I never do that, mainly because there are so many stupid people on foot in car parks. Most of them are probably drivers, yet they don't seem to understand what reversing lights indicate.

Back