Top of the line dash cam in the Market now? ($300-$500)

jsan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So, my blackvue was bricked and now I'm looking for another dashcam to replace it with. With the custom firmware the DR500GW had good daytime video quality. Night time video quality was improved by the custom firmware but it still had greenish hue during the nights and the quality wasn't good in low light conditions (Vehicle headlights only no street lights)

The wifi was alright, When tried to view video on my SgS3 using Wifi, it spent more than half the time buffering. Once the bitrate was increased the videos took even longer to play on the phone via wifi. With higher bitrate you are forced to have the video length at 1min. The Wifi is a good option for setting up the camera for the first time, but it certainly isn't a fast way to transfer videos.

One thing I liked about the DR500GW was that it was very discrete. Yes it is bigger than its previous model but even then it blended in nicely with the reviewview mirror. I painted the silver lens ring; black and then it was even harder to spot.

The wide angle lens was really great, I didn't mind the fisheye effect as long as I got the whole picture from one side to the other.

The way it mounts was really good as well.

So that was my experience with DR500GW and now I'm looking for something that will offer something better than that.

So recommend me some stuff, I might not have heard of some of the cameras out there or any cameras that are hitting the market soon.

Or should I get another DR500W?

jsan said:
So, my blackvue was bricked and now I'm looking for another dashcam to replace it with. With the custom firmware the DR500GW had good daytime video quality. Night time video quality was improved by the custom firmware but it still had greenish hue during the nights and the quality wasn't good in low light conditions (Vehicle headlights only no street lights)

The wifi was alright, When tried to view video on my SgS3 using Wifi, it spent more than half the time buffering. Once the bitrate was increased the videos took even longer to play on the phone via wifi. With higher bitrate you are forced to have the video length at 1min. The Wifi is a good option for setting up the camera for the first time, but it certainly isn't a fast way to transfer videos.

One thing I liked about the DR500GW was that it was very discrete. Yes it is bigger than its previous model but even then it blended in nicely with the reviewview mirror. I painted the silver lens ring; black and then it was even harder to spot.

The wide angle lens was really great, I didn't mind the fisheye effect as long as I got the whole picture from one side to the other.

The way it mounts was really good as well.

So that was my experience with DR500GW and now I'm looking for something that will offer something better than that.

So recommend me some stuff, I might not have heard of some of the cameras out there or any cameras that are hitting the market soon.

Or should I get another DR500W?

Get a VicoVation TF2+

VicoVation TF2+ VS Blackvue DR500HD

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to go for the vue
Until I just saw the video
Not heard of that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go fo Vico TF2 EZ. Its has F2.0 aperture and saves files in MOV. Its almost perfect dash cam for me, except it does not have motion detection recording function which is essential for me, but this can be solved with firmware if Vico will realize how much potential buyers they are losing because of not having it.

Back