Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

I have two (2) A119s cameras installed

Hard wired an extra cigarette outlet via a fuse tap

Used dual cigarette charger that came with the A119s

plugged both usb cables into the cigarette charger

both cameras work great however now when i listen to AM radio I have lots of noise interference

Any recommendations???? very frustrating

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi monica ,
I'm guessing you put one cam on the back window and it has an aerial either stuck to it or in it. Part of the demister system. Try fm and if it is not what you want, set the cam back a bit from the glass in small increments to try it.
You might need to fit a standard aerial or use a different camera. Others may be of more help.:)

hello thanks for the reply
yes correct, second cam is on rear window
no noise with just the front camera
fm is normal, only noise on am
thanks for your input!!!

Radio reception issues are most commonly caused by (in no particular order):

1- Many of the factory PS's have a 'dirty' output with little or no shielding as they try to go as cheap as they can here to maximize profit.
Solution: Use a top-brand aftermarket PS (I use Anker) and a shielded USB cable. These cheap PS's can also feed interference into the cars 12V system; sometimes a different fuse tap will help with that.

2- PS or it's USB cable near antenna (paralleling the antenna makes it worse).
Solution: First try running the USB cable perpendicular to antenna. Next try a shielded USB cable. Lastly move PS and cable away from antenna.

3- Interference from cam.
Solution: Move cam and cable away from antenna. Alternately shielding the cam may work/ Wrapping it in tinfoil makes good shielding but may cause the cam to overheat and die. An enclosure of metal screening is nearly equally effective; both work best if the shielding is grounded to the car body as close as is possible to the shielding.

These solutions apply to all forms of radio- AM, FM, and DAB. They will also apply to audio amplifiers and un-shielded speaker cables. Most cars now have that AM/FM antenna embedded in the front or rear glass, although they have also been placed in non-metal roofs, trunk (boot) lids, and even deck spoilers (Corvettes use a 'fractal antenna there). A dealer, mechanic, or car audio shop can help you locate your antenna if it's not noted in the owner's manual.

I didn't have time to expound on my reply this morning as I had to get off to work PDQ- my apologies for the delay :rolleyes:
Phil

thank you for all your suggestions. I will do some troubleshooting this weekend when I have more time.

great news, problem solved! original install of the rear camera was using the provided long usb cable that comes with the A119s, I had run it all the way to the front of the vehicle along the left side and plugged the usb into the dual cigarette charger that was also included. I suspected that the long usb cable was inducing noise. I ended up buying a shorter 6' shielded mini usb cable and wiring in a 12v to 5v usb adaptor in the rear trunk of the car, I just tapped into 12v I found in the rear. Noise is completely gone now.

thanks to all who replied and offered help, I've learnt alot by reading, what a great community!

Back