Two Cameras Powered by One Hardwire Kit?

luxsphinx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0806
I currently have a Mini 0806 as my only dashcam, but I am looking to add another one out the back window of my car. However, there is no power source easily accessible in the back of my car and I want to limit splicing. Would it be possible to just put a Y adapter on the USB coming out by my mirror now and then run a line along the headliner to the back and run both off of that power? I haven't really found anyone else trying to do that yet.

Also, the 0826 seems to have a better price than the 0806 right now. Can I buy that and use it in the 0806 GPS mount currently on my front window? That way I could use the 0806 in the rear window and the newer 0826 in the front.

Lastly, I have found many posts about how to replace the battery in the 0806, but not much in terms of where best to buy the replacements. Does anyone know where to find them?

...Would it be possible to just put a Y adapter on the USB coming out by my mirror now and then run a line along the headliner to the back and run both off of that power?...
Should work, IF the USB outlet supplies enough power for both cams.

Well, I think my hardwire kit is 1.5A, what to the cameras draw?

I've seen a test on YouTube that showed a 0806 pulls about .25 A (250 mA) when running. Add another .25 A for other draws ( battery is charging, screen on, GPS, margin-of-error, etc..) and a 1.5A 5v source should drive two 0806s just fine.
However, you need to verify that your 'hardwire kit' is actually providing 1.5A and, more importantly, its at a stable 5v.
These cams are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

Well, I think my hardwire kit is 1.5A, what to the cameras draw?
I use a mini0806 1.5A hardwire kit for a mini0806 and a mini 0903, works fine unless the car battery is nearly flat and then they sometimes have a problem at startup, not something to worry about. The 0806 will never take more than .5 amp, but I don't recommend sharing the hardwire kit by more than 2 cameras as the maximum output of most hardwire kits tends to drop when they get warm or don't have full input voltage.

If you have a soldering iron I would recommend soldering an extra wire inside the box rather than use a Y connector that may shake loose at some point. If not put some tape around the connection so it will not shake loose over the next year.

I think another 0806 is probably the better buy than a 0826, the 0806 is well sorted now and produces a good image. I would suggest an 0903 but they haven't sorted all the problems yet.

Back